Keezer conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What size wood for taps?

• 2x4

• 2x6

• 2x8

• 2x10

• 2x12

• Other?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Chattan

Reaction score
Yes, another Keezer conversion. I picked up a 14 cubic ft. Maytag freezer from HD. I want to add six (6) taps and was wondering what size wood should I use to hold the taps. I have a rather large CO2 tank and it is about the same size as a corny and I can easily fit 8 kegs with the CO2 tank on the floor. I don't need the hump so I just need the wood to mount the CO2 distribution and taps.

So what size wood would be best?
2x4
2x6
2x8
2x10
Other?

I never measured them but by eyeball the trim pieces for the faucets are less than 3.5", so a 2x4 would be fine. If you are mounting the collar to the keezer base, so only the lid opens, make sure the hinge can be securely fastened to just a 2x4. Another thing to consider is that most 2x4's these days are twisted and warped pretty bad, there might be some planing involved to get everything to sit right. Make sure you go through the whole stack and get a good one.

I used 1x4 for my keezer build, but it all depends on what style of keezer you are building.

Keezer with collar and lid?
Keezer with a coffin top?

I used 2 X 6 for my collar but I wish I had used 2 X 4 since I'm short and now it's a lot of lifting.

Back