What would work with Elderflowers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LateraLex

Reaction score
I'm interested in making a batch of beer with elderflowers, but wasn't sure what would compliment it well. I am big fan of a cocktail that combines elderflower liquor, grapefruit juice, and gin - so I wondered if I could play off those same flavors.

Would elderflowers hold up to a grape fruity hops like cascade or citra? What style beer would support it best? I was thinking of a kolsh or saison?

Interested in any ideas or experience here, I've got some time to think about this.

Haven't got too much experience with elderflowers in beer. Have made elderflower cordial a few times and elderflower champagne once. This was with european elderflower. You might want to check which species you've got as i think some north american species can be toxic or at least parts of them can be anyway. Flowers probably OK but worth checking.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sambucus_canadensis

I would have thought a nice hefeweizen would have been perfect for the floral heady aroma.

Nothing too hoppy - I think elderflower is delicate in its aroma and flavor and would be overwhelmed. A light base beer like Kolsch seems like a good idea.

If you do use cascade, I would only use a token amount as the AA% will quickly overpower and drown out the delicate flavour of the elderflowers. I would probably not add any aroma hops either, just a small handful at the beginning of the boil and the elderflowers about ten minutes before the end.

Just my thoughts....

Just brewed an Elderflower Kolsch.

11 Lbs German Pils
0.5 LBS Wheat Malt
0.5 LBS Carapils

1Oz Hallertauer 60 min
0.5 Oz Hallertauer 30 Min
0.5 Oz Hallertauer 15 min
2Oz Brewers Best dried Elderflowers - 5 Min
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 Min

Mash at 152 for 60 Min
BIAB

Wyeast Kolsch 2565. 2L starter

OG 1.052
5 Gallons

Tasted the Hydro sample, the Elderflower was quite strong. Hopefully this mellows with fermentation. Will give it 2 weeks in primary, then 2 weeks in secondary before kegging. Trying to keep temps for primary in low 60s.

I like St. Germain, so thought this would be a fun experiment.

Had lunch at Harpoon in Vt today. My wife had their, "Mid Summer Fling ". Described as a English Country Ale with CitraHops Elderflower and lemon grass. It was delicious. It was 4.6% ABV. Not very hoppy but no IBUs listed on the chalkboard.
I had the Leviathan Imperial IPA. Well worth the visit. Food is great too. My wife now wants me to prepare a mid summer fling for her...I hope she means the ale.

So did the elderflower die down any yet? What are your thoughts now?

Just brewed an Elderflower Kolsch.

11 Lbs German Pils
0.5 LBS Wheat Malt
0.5 LBS Carapils

1Oz Hallertauer 60 min
0.5 Oz Hallertauer 30 Min
0.5 Oz Hallertauer 15 min
2Oz Brewers Best dried Elderflowers - 5 Min
1 tsp Irish Moss 15 Min

Mash at 152 for 60 Min
BIAB

Wyeast Kolsch 2565. 2L starter

OG 1.052
5 Gallons

Tasted the Hydro sample, the Elderflower was quite strong. Hopefully this mellows with fermentation. Will give it 2 weeks in primary, then 2 weeks in secondary before kegging. Trying to keep temps for primary in low 60s.

I like St. Germain, so thought this would be a fun experiment.

i know i'm late to the party... (although here with such a horrid spring/summer the elderflowers are still in high bloom. in JULY! abysmal.) but elderflower wit can be nice, and cantillon makes an elderflower lambic. goes nice with tart wheat and low hop.

The Elderflower taste was quite strong and overpowered the Koosch. Ended up dumping it to free a keg. Will not be brewing this recipe again. Should have stuck with a straight Kolsch.

Back