Grainger Float Switch? Anyone?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tannnick

Reaction score
Has anyone ever used this? Also, would this simply go between the PID and SSR on the DC side or is it more complicated than that? Thanks.

I got the same (looking) float switch from eBay for 8 bucks. The only down side is they come from hong kong, so don't be in a hurry, but mine work just fine.

Are those immersible? That is, if water or wort goes over the top of the float, do they still work upon draining?

It's made to be immersible and be mounted in to the side of a kettle. If you zoom in there is a silicone gasket on the nut so you can drill a hole in the kettle and mount it through the wall.

Just make sure you use a continuity tester before you mount it to make sure you are mounting it the correct way. The one I received had to be mounted in the downward position. Really all it is is a magnetic switch, so if it switches the opposite way of how it is mounted, the water level will either be way to high, or pointless and way to low.

I understand how to wire this for heating elements. It would go inline between the PID and SSR. BUT, is this rated for pumps on AC? I would like to use it to control my sparge water pump. Is this possible?

The ones that I have are only rated for 12v dc so I k ow mine won't work without adding steps own transformers and 12v relays

Quick update, I am using these float switches inline to control contactors/relays on the AC side to protect against dry firing of elements and also to control a relay for auto sparge for a pump. If a SSR fails, it will fail closed with electricity flowing. All switches need to be on the AC side of a SSR, not the DC side. And trust me, 208v 3phase contactors to handle 60 amps is not cheap. Holy hell. But, the added protection is priceless.

Latest posts

Back