Fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kmcogar

Reaction score
I just started my first mead. I made a starter and it started fermenting almost right away. The krausen us building up pretty good.

My question is...when do I add the yeast energizer? How do I know when it's the right time?

Yeast energizer is mostly a nitrogen supplement. Usually you add it either when you pitch your yeast, or when your fermentation is slowing way down and your not anywhere near you desired FG.

Thanks. Can too much energizer or nutrient hurt the mead?

Yes, it's possible it could cause some off flavours if you use too much, but you'd have to use a whole lot more than you would need; as long as you follow the directions on the pkg and/or the SNA schedule, you should be just fine & make some great mead.
Regards, GF.

I added some yeast energizer and nutrient to my mead. The mead started off pretty good, then 3 days later fermentation was slowing down a lot. I figured there was no way it was almost done fermenting. Maybe a half hour after I added the yeast energizer and nutrient, the mead started fermenting strong again. I'm gone for the next week so I hope it will be ok.

Back