Set-and-Forget... Uh oh! Party!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theDeutscher

Reaction score
Trying not to be long-winded here. I have a keg that's been sitting on 10 PSI for 2 days @ 35 degrees shooting for 2.5 volumes using the set-and-forget method. However, I forgot (a little irony) that I promised some friends a while back that I'd bring a keg of homebrew to their party, which is this Friday... so 3 days from now. I've never used the rocking method, but this might be a good chance to try. What would you do in this situation where I've already had the beer sitting on CO2 for a couple days? Much appreciation.

I'd draw a pint off first to see if there is any sediment. If there isn't any, then having it sit for a while just means you won't have to rock it for as long.

It's an ale but I lagered it for 3 weeks. It was crystal clear going into the keg. How about just cranking it up to 30 PSI? How many days would you suppose be sufficient at that pressure?

Just rock it for 15 minutes at 12 psi, then leave it until Friday. Rocking it will not change the final carbonation level, it just speeds the process.

I like to lay a 2x4 on the floor, then set the keg on its side with the board at the mid-point. Then rock away.

^^ I second that advice. If you shake it at serving pressure you can't overcarbonate. Shake it for 5 minutes and then leave it at 12 psi. Should be plenty carbed by Friday.

I'd set it to 30 psi for about 15-18 hours (since you've already got 2 days @ 10). Then, set it to 10, vent it, and check it again a few hours later. You should be *close* to carbonated at that point. If you're close enough, leave it at 10. If not, bump it to say 20 psi for another 12 hours.

Back