Why don't big breweries make more pale/golden ales?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bosh

Reaction score
I'm probably missing something here, but don't low gravity ales usually take less time to condition than lagers? Wouldn't big breweries save some money on refridgeration and storage space if they used the same ingredients as they do now but used ale yeast instead of lager yeast and brewed at somewhat higher temperatures? :confused:

orfy said:
Because they make what sells.
Ales have too much taste for most people.

Yeah but for a lot of very ****ty beers the only reason why any sane person would buy them is the low price. Wouldn't using ale yeast expand their profit margins a bit?

Bosh said:
Yeah but for a lot of very ****ty beers the only reason why any sane person would buy them is the low price
Plus a billion dollar marketing campaign and the fact lots of people are like sheep.

Bosh said:
Wouldn't using ale yeast expand their profit margins a bit?
I'm not too concerned, I think they make plenty of profit.;)
I don't think they pay for yeast, they grow there own.

The big companies have ways of speed conditioning lagers, one of which is pumping the brew through a pipe packed with yeast. The days of 3-4 months of lagering are long gone.

Latest posts

Back