Keg System ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bgon

Reaction score
I found this at kegconnection and I see it says it comes with everything needed, but was wondering if there was any hidden items that I might need to make it an easier transition to kegging?
I will also eventually be upgrading this to a keezer set up, will there be any snags I might run into later with upgrading taps and such?

Here I am drinking a fine home brew that somehow (lack of proper priming sugar) has very little carbonation and I laughed at your comment jww...

Seems like a good deal... that is a tiny CO2 cylinder though... maybe good to carbonate and dispense two kegs... if you bought a bigger cylinder (now or later) you would still be doing good for the value of the keg, regulator, etc.

I would recommend adding a CO2 stone to the mix to make carbonating simple and worry free. I didn't see one on their site, but AHS has them. A stone and a piece of tubing to attach it to the gas in post in the keg will set you back about $17. I have the .5 Micron stones in all my serving kegs and LOVE them

I agree with the two other posters. The 20 oz c02 tank to me seems pointless. I would definitely go with at least a 5lb tank as refills can sometimes be a pain as no close location.

It may say it comes with everything needed, but just to be clear it doesn't come with any kegs, so you need to buy them separately. As mentioned, you'll probably find the paintball tank a bit small. Since the regulator in that kit can only be used on small paintaball tanks, you'll want to look at a different kit if you plan on getting a bigger CO2 tank. Maybe something like this- http://stores.kegconnection.com/Detail.bok?no=426

You'll have to add a CO2 tank and any kegs separately.

Whatever you do, don't get anything other then a 5lb tank or maybe 10. I picked up a kegconnection kit at an awesome price on black friday last year that came with a 4lb tank. Seeing as my LHBS could fill tanks it worked great. Now I've moved and the only places that have CO2 in the area only do exchanges of 5lb tanks. My two keg system with c/w faucets for under 200 bucks quickly became a $250 5lb kit c/w empty 4lb tank.

Edit: oh, get a two keg kit btw. Just bite the bullet and do it or continue bottling. You'll know why the day you are ready to keg a batch only to realize you have half your keg to kill.

I figured the CO2 tank was to be upgraded but for sine reason it never clicked that I have the same rank for my paintball gun. I knew the keg was to be bought but now I'll price upgrading the tank and regulator.

Thanks everyone.

What is the average life of a 5lb tank on two kegs? Also how long will the beer last in a keg. I would assume that as long as it's carbed it's good but I've learned not to assume.

it may seem like a cheap way to get into kegging, but it seems to me this is more of a portable system. If you plan on a kegerator, you don't wanna go cheap. You will end up buying stuff twice. Two or three gauge regulator, and the largest co2 tank you can afford. Just saying, dont buy the cheap stuff thinking you can upgrade, because not one piece in that system is gonna work in the kegerator.

What is the average life of a 5lb tank on two kegs? Also how long will the beer last in a keg. I would assume that as long as it's carbed it's good but I've learned not to assume.

General rule of thumb is that one pound of CO2 will carbonate and serve 5-10 gallons of beer. So assuming you don't get shorted on the fill (more common than you might think), a 5# tank should carb and serve 5-10 corny kegs.

Beer should be good for a couple years in the keg, just like in the bottle.

it may seem like a cheap way to get into kegging, but it seems to me this is more of a portable system. If you plan on a kegerator, you don't wanna go cheap. You will end up buying stuff twice. Two or three gauge regulator, and the largest co2 tank you can afford. Just saying, dont buy the cheap stuff thinking you can upgrade, because not one piece in that system is gonna work in the kegerator.

After reading that I went and looked at other systems and saw this. Certainly not want to go cheap and have to redo to much if possible in the future. Upgrade to TapRite regulator. Trying to see if buying a keg there with free shipping would be better than here. CO2 tanks are a bit cheaper there too, but if shipping keeps rising, it equals out some.

Portability of the system does seem nice but I bet it's more of a pain than I think it would be.

if you want portability, fill some growlers right before you leave. But that new kit will work better for you. I put in a four way manifold, even though I dont have four but I have water on tap to rinse out the mugs.

Don't underestimate craigslist. You can get hella cheap kegging equipment on there. Rule of thumb I go by, if you can't get it for half price, then pass on it. The only exception is the kegs. Because they are becoming more and more rare, they tend to hold their value around $30-40

After reading that I went and looked at other systems and saw this. Certainly not want to go cheap and have to redo to much if possible in the future. Upgrade to TapRite regulator. Trying to see if buying a keg there with free shipping would be better than here. CO2 tanks are a bit cheaper there too, but if shipping keeps rising, it equals out some.

Portability of the system does seem nice but I bet it's more of a pain than I think it would be.

You may be interested in these: http://www.birdmanbrewing.com/keg-kit-2-tap-standard-homebrew/

Back