Is cider good for you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkKF

Reaction score
So I was thinking that cider (or apple wine) fermented dry and not backsweetened has little sugar left. Very little of those nasty carbs in beer, either. So is it better for you (or your waistline) than beer or liquor?

Not sure, but I know I feel better after a crappy day of work with a tall glass of cider than I do with no cider. :mug:

The healthiness of a cider goes beyond calorie counting just like general nutrition.

My take is that drinking a few of your sweat generated beverages makes you happy, and if you're happy you don't feel as much of the need to go all highlander on people. That's healthy for other people as well as you! So drink it sissy and stop worrying whether or not your cider is full bodied or a marketing brainwashing "cider64".

:D

I was just trying to justify drinking more cider and less beer. Lie to me!

A glass of beer contains more nutrition than a glass of milk... Cider can't be too dissimilar, so bottoms up!

Cambone said:
This is simply not true. Milk contains protein, vitamins A and D and calcium. Beer does not.

Yes but on the other side of that hardly anything in milk can even be absorbed and used by the human body. While beer may not be amazing for you it is still get this... Better for you than a Gatorade before or after any activity... Strange as it may seem it's true. Ya beer!!!! Oh ya and bwers yeast is the highest availably absorbable concentration of vitamin b complex there is so that is why you don't get as bad a hangover with home brew as you do with commercial brews as they filter all of the yeast out of them before selling. Super cool! but still in no way is over consuming good for you but hey whatever.

If you look at calories per unit alcohol, dry cider and wine are best. Beer is a bit more calorific, dry cider and wine only have the calories in the alcohol itself. Spirits with mixers are the worst, or sweet cider and wine. Spirits with lo-cal mixers are ok but generally taste revolting.

Greg

dinnerstick said:
why does beer give me a worse hangover than milk?
i love horrible science

Try unfiltered beer that hasn't been pasteurized. No hangover. And Then hydrate your body with water to compensate for fluid loss.

dinnerstick said:
why does beer give me a worse hangover than milk?
i love horrible science

eat more cookies with your beer, that should take care of it.

Try unfiltered beer that hasn't been pasteurized. No hangover. And Then hydrate your body with water to compensate for fluid loss.

Hahaha so thats it? 12-18 homebrews in a night and I'll feel fine? Praise be to yeast, the miracle bacteria that lives in beer and can cure everything.

There are quite a few studies that show alcoholic beverages in moderation are good for you... As a few here have mentioned - it retains more of the healthy components when it's the less "Processed" or filtered.... Home brew beers actually contain quite a bit of protein and nutrients from the grains.... Apple ciders don't loose all their vitamin C, potassium, or other nutrients that were in the original apple juice....

On the other hand - it seems like everything is bad for you when taken to excess.... Drinking too much water can cause kidney failure and even death.... I had a friend who ended up hospitalized after drinking 2-gallons of water at a track meet....

Thanks

Hers some more great science for ya... Beer also does not contain any genetically modified genes or unnatural hormones which unless you get your milk from your own grass fed cow or goat or organically grown almonds/coconuts milk does! Trying to justify any overindulgence is pointless as is trying to use sarcastically shadowed malice to make other people sound stupid to feel a little cooler. Everyone here I think is just having a little fun and enjoying some strange facts not trying to prove that beer is the magic cure all god juice.
that being said ( covering my own ass). Most people do get a "hangover" from milk. Wether you know if your lactose intolerant or not most human beings have adverse affects from milk digestive issues, allergies, and other things that we might not think we're caused by our regular consumption of milk until one stops consuming it and feels the differences.

Again just for fun please don't take any of my back and forth banter as being a jerk. Just having fun!

I was just trying to justify drinking more cider and less beer. Lie to me!

OK, so Cider will add years to your life, make you stronger, help prevent cancer, and increase your chances of gaining super powers by 0.5413%

Don't beleive me? Prove me wrong! (Well actually I would prefer you didn't) :mug:

Devo9 said:
OK, so Cider will add years to your life, make you stronger, help prevent cancer, and increase your chances of gaining super powers by 0.5413%

Don't beleive me? Prove me wrong! (Well actually I would prefer you didn't) :mug:

Dang I gotta get another batch of cider going! I've always wanted super powers!

Devo9 said:

This is PER BEVERAGE. Drink up!

Hers some more great science for ya... Beer also does not contain any genetically modified genes or unnatural hormones

Apparently you've never had a wheat beer. Today's wheat is so genetically modified it's sickening. Many people think the reason we have all of these celiacs is because of wheat GMOs, but this is not proven of course.

sudsmcgee said:
Apparently you've never had a wheat beer. Today's wheat is so genetically modified it's sickening. Many people think the reason we have all of these celiacs is because of wheat GMOs, but this is not proven of course.

Ya I'm right there with ya man... Thats why I avoid any and all genetically modified anything at all costs. Its really a shame, the amazing bull that the American society is being fed by our government run agencies and being sold as "healthy" or "natural". You pretty much have to grow any and all food items your self to be free of the evil ( and yes I mean evil). That is what is being called food these days.

Ya I'm right there with ya man... Thats why I avoid any and all genetically modified anything at all costs. Its really a shame, the amazing bull that the American society is being fed by our government run agencies and being sold as "healthy" or "natural". You pretty much have to grow any and all food items your self to be free of the evil ( and yes I mean evil). That is what is being called food these days.

And on top of that, if you grow organic food and your crops get contaminated with GMOs, Monsanto can sue you for illegally using their product. :confused:

I don't think Monsanto makes GMO apples (yet). Even modern apples are still just the result of simple cross breeding and selecting for positive traits.

Back