tritary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fuzzyglasses

Reaction score
I have my first two 5 gallon batches of cider, unpasteurized, from the orchard directly to the carboy on 9/24;

One batch added campden + rest + 1# local honey & 1.25# Raw Sugar Cane + Rehydrated Nottingham, Good fermentation then transferred to Secondary 10/17/11. Close to 1.000. Now, it's building up a 3/4" yeast cake in the carboy since. Hope to transfer to the keg once it opens up. Or should I let it rest some more? I want to serve Thanksgiving…. or Christmas. Is it worth the wait?

Another batch I added nothing to. I let the wild yeast take over. Haven't transferred from Primary or done ANYTHING to. The only thing I noticed different was the very very beginning of fermentation it was a bit more sudsy, or bubbly krousen than I'm used to seeing but quickly faded. Haven't smelled or tasted. Planning on racking this to secondary then aging for a long time. Should I smell and taste to be sure it's not bad? What should I expect? Or rather hope?

Scott

my recommendations, for whatever transcontinental advice from a complete stranger is worth, is as follows, for the first one it depends on how clear it is, i would let it clear as much as possible before kegging but leave enough time to carb up. just to avoid sediment in the keg, which should drop pretty quickly in the cold and hopefully will come out anyways in the first few glasses. the question is whether it is still young/hot in a month, if so you could sweeten it a bit in the keg to smooth over the rough edges
second batch, there's nothing you can do about it now so just let it go. i would rack once when it looks finished and sediment is building, you can campden it then to be safe but that will stop any wild malolactic bacteria. expect dry and tart, and that it may take a long time to finish up the last few gravity points. hopefully it turns out yummy

Thanks for the advice dinnerstick.

My keg is being used so I'll be letting the first batch hang out in secondary for another month or so to be used for Christmas. Seems to be clearing nicely and should clear more with the temps in the basement falling.

Transferred my wild cider to secondary today. 1.000. It didn't taste all that much different than batch #1. Possibly a bit of lacto on top, but very little and racked under it to be safe, but not sure as to what it was. I've never come across it before. I'll give it a few days for the sanitizer to clear on the top and see if any white film redevelops and if it does dose it with some campden and age 'till Spring.

Back