• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to HomeBrewTalk and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

WTB: Grain Mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hercher

Reaction score
I'm in the Scranton, PA area. I've been wanting a grain mill for a while, but the cost has always scared me off. Anyone looking to get rid of their grain mill, let me know. Corona type would be fine, rollers would be better, but probably out of my price range.

A new Corona runs around $50-$60 bucks, but I have to add shipping on to that.

You know, even though I bought my current burner from Amazon, I constantly forget they sell more than books and music....

this link took me to a Grizzly brand mill that looks quite similar to the Corona. However, the reviews on the site were all over the place. The most common complaints (ruling out the people who wanted to make flour) were poor construction and a gasoline-like odor. Can anyone comment on those?

I want to save money, but not if I'm going to be constantly repairing the mill, or if it is going to impart any kind of off-flavor to my beer.

Last edited by a moderator:
Gasoline stench :confused: would be a no-go for me.

Here is another Amazon link to a $20 model that looks identical to the one I use. You definitely need to tinker with them a bit upfront to dial in your crush, but I haven't had to mess with mine in about a year and I'm happy with the results. If you go with the Corona mill, check out some of the threads here on adding washers to fine-tune your grinding plates.

http://www.amazon.com/grinder-HEAVY-DUTY-adjustable-soybeans-CAPACITY/dp/B004Q7JQI0/ref=sr_1_5?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1318267365&sr=1-5

Last edited by a moderator:
this link took me to a Grizzly brand mill that looks quite similar to the Corona. However, the reviews on the site were all over the place. The most common complaints (ruling out the people who wanted to make flour) were poor construction and a gasoline-like odor. Can anyone comment on those?

I initially bought a Corona knock off and it stunk like petroleum products out of the box. I cleaned it up as best as I could and made a test run with some extra grain and wasn't happy with the result. If I had wanted to spend some time tinkering with it, I'm sure I could have dialed it in, but I ended up getting a Barley Crusher and don't regret that decision one bit.

I use that exact grizzly mill that I bought off Amazon and it has worked great for me. The gas smell out the box was concerning but I simply washed all the parts thoroughly and let the whole unit air out for a few days and the smell was gone.

You will also need to adjust the depth using washers (as has been discussed in numerous threads) but once you are able to dial it in you will get a great crush.

I get around 75% efficiency with mine and am happy with that.

kingmatt, have you been using the mill for long? Have you had to make any repairs? How did you wash the odor off -- soap and water sufficient? Have you been able to adapt the mill to hook a drill up to it? Did you modify it to give it a larger hopper? How about containing the grain -- some of the reviews noted that the stuff tends to fly all over the place.

Sorry about the stream of consciousness interrogation, but I'm supposed to be working right now.

kingmatt, have you been using the mill for long? Have you had to make any repairs? How did you wash the odor off -- soap and water sufficient? Have you been able to adapt the mill to hook a drill up to it? Did you modify it to give it a larger hopper? How about containing the grain -- some of the reviews noted that the stuff tends to fly all over the place.

Sorry about the stream of consciousness interrogation, but I'm supposed to be working right now.

I have been using it since I first moved to all-grain, about 7 months ago, with no problems or repairs needed.

Yes, simple soap and water was all it took.

I crank mine out manually (I count it as my workout for the day :cross:) but you can easily buy a bolt, cut the head off and attach it to you drill.

I cut out a piece of 2X4 to fit inside a homer bucket and attached my mill to it via the clamp on the bottom. Next, I screwed it in about half way down so the top of the mill was level with the top of the bucket, and then cut a hole in the lid so the hopper fit down through it and a hole in the side to allow the handle to be attached. Then, I simply cut the bottom out of the bucket I attached the mill to and slid it into a second bucket that I use to catch all the milled grain. The lid keeps the grain from flying out and when I am done milling I simply pull the top bucket and mash in from the second bucket.

Back