Repitching yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clay

Reaction score
I just threw in more yeast in my batch because of a weak fermentation, and I shook it up a bit. Was that done correctly?

Also, since I had to use yeast that was for my next batch I want to know if I understand something correctly. When I siphon the beer out of the primary and all that crap(trub or whatever it is called :confused: ) is left over all I have to do is add my next batch to it and it is good to go. I had read someone had done that but they go from light beer to dark beer. I have a Irish Stout in the primary now and my next batch is English Brown Ale. Will that be a problem?

Thanks

Hey Bill, how long can you let the trub sit in your primary until you get the next brew going? Does it need to be done the same day?

Some people do them both around the same time, transfer and brew another batch.

I should say that I don't know the CORRECT answer to your question. The trick is to keep it from getting contaminated.

However, my next comments are sure to raise some controversy:

Depending on how clean the trub is (the cleaner the better), with or without hop residue (hop residue adds bitterness to your next batch), I always try to bottle some of the yeast for re-use. Most of the time I get about 3 - 0,5 liter bottles from a primary. I've also poured all of it into a sanitized growler to use later. :D The smaller bottles fit in the fridge better, about 12-15 per shelf.

If I were to transfer to the secondary and wanted to reuse my yeast I would leave a couple of inches of the beer on top of the yeast cake, recap the primary, and fill the airlock with water so it wouldn't get contaminated. I'm sure it could probably last a relatively long time, 1-2 weeks, before I'd change my mind about using it.

As long as the yeast stays covered (water/beer) I would feel pretty confident in reusing it.

Afterall, except for the sanitized environment, that's what's in a vial isn't it?

Back