Can I still single infusion?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigNastyBrew

Reaction score
Brewing a lager soon with 57% Munich, 33% vienna and 10% Carahell. I've never used these malts standalone and have always had another base malt with higher DP in the mix. Will a single infusion still work with this grainbill?

I got the recipe straight from the owner of a brewpub in Berlin but he step mashes starting at 62°C (approx 143°F). If I can do a single infusion, what do you think? It's a vienna lager. Maybe 152°?

Thanks

It will work just fine :) I've used almost all munich in a beer, as well as almost all vienna. No problems either way, conversion worked just fine at my temps of 150 up to 156. Didn't extend the mash past 60 minutes or anything. Also done both with and without mashout of 168. Either way it converted fine.

Cheers!

Thanks. I figured I could. I never brewed a vienna lager either so I'm hoping my 152° is a good number. I also had 154° in mind for the body. Looks like you've done that whole range.

Thanks again

Call it a New Vienna Lager.

The original name is Lemke Original from Brauhaus Lemke in Berlin. I asked the style as well as other questions. He answered all but that one so I left it alone. The recipe as I converted it to 5gallons is within parameters for a vienna with the exception of the SRM (I need another .5°).

Yes, I am a style nerd. :mug:

Could you post your entire recipe for 5gal? I'm rather new to AG and don't yet know how to do all the math myself. Also, what types of hops are recommended for this style? I simply must have it on tap...I've recently re-discovered that a cold vienna lager will solve nearly any problem I have.

Thanks in advance.

Back