Easy question - how long will this last in my frig?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ahansen

Reaction score
I bought the stuff to make a batch in February and am just getting to it this weekend. Everything has been stored in my frig since I got it. Will the materials still be good?

DME - think this should be fine
Rice Hulls - cracked when I got them - will these be OK?
Yeast - liquid in a container
Hops - still in unopened packaging

I appreciate it in advance.

Thanks,
Adam

If the hops are vacuum sealed, they should be fine. I'd make a small starter with the yeast to make sure they are up to the task. Otherwise, your golden!

The DME should be fine, but I don't know about the others. 4 months is a pretty long time. In the future, you should know that it's ok to put the hops in the freezer. They'll last longer than in the fridge.

On an unrelated note, is this an extract batch or is there a grain bill that you haven't mentioned? I ask because to my knowledge there is no point in using rice hulls except when mashing.

It think it will be fine, +1 on the yeast starter to be on the safe side. I'm also wondering about the rice hulls?

Thanks for the quick response. The hops are vacuum sealed and the rice hulls were added by the guy at my LHBS. I'll pull the recipe - don't think I forgot any grain and I'm not really sure why he recommended I add them - more to follow.

Back