Getting ready for first all grain

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam's Apples

Reaction score
I'm trying to work out my brewing schedule for my first all-grain beer, which I reckon I'm about 1 week away from starting, depending on the arrival of my cooler. Re-reading Palmer, I had forgotten that ph is a lot more important in all-grain. It's interesting what he has to say about how the grain bill can change ph.

How much attention do you guys pay to ph? Do you take the ph during the mash, as Palmer suggests, and then adjust if necessary? He mentions gypsum and and baking soda as additives to change the ph either way, is this what is usually used?

I think this is somethig I may fine tune over time, but I have just ordered a digital ph tester to try and keep the mash to between 5.1-55 as Palmer suggests. I'm guessing, as long as I'm not horribly outside the ph range the beer produced should still be good.

Cheers

How's your water? And what's your grain bill? Those two things play a big part in how much you need to worry about mash pH. If you don't have ridiculously hard water, don't worry about it. You can usually look up your city's annual water report on the public works website. Palmer has a recommended range for all of the common water properties. All of mine are within range so I don't worry about adding anything to my water.

Your grain bill is another factor. If you are making a very pale beer -- a Pilsner, for example -- you need to worry a little more about mash pH. If you've got any dark specialty grains in the grist, however, they're usually enough to bring the mash pH down into the proper range.

Do NOT start adding gypsum, chalk, salts or anything else to your mash water without first tracking down your city's water report. According to many sources, most municipal water in the U.S. is perfectly fine for brewing as-is. Only add water adjustments if you know for sure that you need them.

By the way, congratulations on your first AG! It'll be hectic, but if you've got a checklist it'll be a lot easier than you think it's going be.

Chad

All Grain is great! I'll be brewing my 2nd this weekend. You have so much more control, it's amazing.

I will be using 5-Star pH 5.2 buffer this time around in hopes to raise my efficiency (I got 68% last time)

I want to fine-tune EVERYTHING in my process before i start doing brewing salt additions (My water is VERY, VERY soft).

Good luck, have a checklist, and RDWHAHB (Not too many though :D)

Dave

Cheers guys.

I'm in the UK and I know my water is quite hard as we get lots of limescale.

I have my water report downloaded and it's format doesn't seem to match what Palmers book says, so I haven't yet really tackled it properly. I think I will just dip my ph tester in the mash and hopefully I won't be way outside the ranges I need to be.

What's the 5 star ph 5.2 buffer, I haven't heard of this?

Cheers

Didn't realize you were in the UK. You might try Orfy's Hobgoblin clone as your first AG. It's a well established recipe with enough dark grains to balance out your water. It's a great beer, too.

Chad

Didn't realize you were in the UK. You might try Orfy's Hobgoblin clone as your first AG. It's a well established recipe with enough dark grains to balance out your water. It's a great beer, too.

Chad

Good call.

I do enjoy quite a few of these as they are readily available locally, although I have never seen it on tap yet.

I had already picked this as my 1st effort and will be printing off Orfy's ingredients and intructions.

I'm ready for all grain! :ban:

I have been brewing 36 years and am now drinking a brown ale and loving it. If you have good sanitary practices and use fresh ingrediants and Age it long enough you will make an excellent beer. Orfy's brews should be just right for English taste as I am planning to brew 12 gallons of his mild mannered ale soon. Keep your fermentations in the proper temperature range and success is yours.
:mug:

I have my water report downloaded and it's format doesn't seem to match what Palmers book says, so I haven't yet really tackled it properly.

Same here. I called my water provider and they gave me all the info i needed. I think the only thing the water report told me was chlorine and sodium levels, but that's about it.

Brew on! :rockin:

Same here. I called my water provider and they gave me all the info i needed. I think the only thing the water report told me was chlorine and sodium levels, but that's about it.

Brew on! :rockin:

Tell them you brew beer and need a detailed report and list the types of items you are interested in.

I'm in the UK also and have done several AG's now and haven't checked my water analysis. It may be something I look at much further down the road but it's far better just to get stuck in and see how it works. When things start tasteing off then you can start analysing but I wouldn't read too much into this at the start.

Half a Campden Tablet is the only water treatment I've used so far and it seems to serve me well. Your first AG will feel complicated enough as it is without the additional worry of your water profile. Just chuck half a Campden Tablet in as some insurance and brew away. You're pretty certain to end up with a good brew regardless.

Tell them you brew beer and need a detailed report and list the types of items you are interested in.

I guess i should have clarified.

My online water report, much like every one else's, doesnt say much.
But after speaking to my water provider i found out pH, Ca, Mg, etc.

I actually called my local water department to ask about the bicarbonate figures I found on line and the first thing the guy asked was "are you making beer?"

Apparently, they are aware of us. And quite helpful too.

Do they put chloromines in the water in the UK?

I'm not sure. I will re-read the report today and call if necessary. I think, when I get my ph tester, I will test my tap water then try and work out what my mash ph would be given the grain I'm using.

Cheers.

All Grain is great! I'll be brewing my 2nd this weekend. You have so much more control, it's amazing.

I will be using 5-Star pH 5.2 buffer this time around in hopes to raise my efficiency (I got 68% last time)

I want to fine-tune EVERYTHING in my process before i start doing brewing salt additions (My water is VERY, VERY soft).

Good luck, have a checklist, and RDWHAHB (Not too many though :D)

Dave

Is your water soft because you have a water softener? If I used pure tap water my water would be completely devoid of anything, so I mix tap water with outdoor faucet water (which doesnt run through the water softener) in a 1:1 ratio as my water out of the well is only moderately hard, not extremely hard.

Back