Does it taste anything like Bud Light?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MNBugeater

Reaction score
My sister-in-law and her kids were visiting this past weekend and my 14 year old nephew brought a friend.

I was working on cleaning some kegs and they of course saw the keezer and started asking me questions. I mentioned that, yes indeed, I do make my own beer and started telling them about all the chemistry involved and summarizing the steps in general. I was surprised at their curiosity not for the fact that I was making BEER or alcohol like I expected from a 14 year old, but their their intrigue into the brewstand, the valves, pumps, and the chemistry etc... The had genuine questions on how I get beer from a bucket full of grain.

So after all their questions, the friend of my nephew said..

"Does it taste anything like Bud Light?" and I politely replied... "No, not really, its different"

He concluded our conversation succinctly..

"Good", he said, "'Cause my dad let me taste it once and I almost threw up!"

I got a chuckle from his comment, but was more impressed by their curiosity NOT for the fact that is was beer, but for how it was created.

Lol it brings me back to my first beer when I had a sip of my dads - I nearly gagged. Now that im 32 I have rarely met a beer I didnt like. Except a local microbrew that has a Jalapano Ale - that I think is the only bottle of beer I have not completely finished. Yuk

Someone bought me a bud light last night, and not being a complete prick, I drank it to be nice.

First bud lite in ages. It actually tasted like a cross between corn and someone's unwashed feet.

Someone bought me a bud light last night, and not being a complete prick, I drank it to be nice.

First bud lite in ages. It actually tasted like a cross between corn and someone's unwashed feet.

I am particularly disturbed by the connection to the taste of unwashed feet.

Indulge in this often do you?

Is it that much less appealing than cleaned feet?

My first taste of beer, accidental though it was, was a big slug of my dad's can of warm, mostly flat, Budweiser. I was 5...and actually aiming for my can of orange soda; wasn't paying attention, grabbed the Bud. I spit it out all over the carpet.

I didn't try beer again until I was 25. :)

Turned out all the better, though! I'm making up for lost time with real beer.

My first beer was on a hot, humid Illinois day. Mr. Oltman gave Tom, Larry & I each a can, warm. No idea what brand, I was only 8 at the time. Mr. Oltman told us to drink it fast, so no one would find out. I think Larry held it down the longest.

haha...i don't think its that bad. I actually kinda like Bud Light. Its DEFIANTLY NOT my drink of choice when it comes to commercial beer...but if somebody offers me one then i will drink it with no complaints...but in my head i know that mine tatses better

Or a Smirnoff Ice drinker. It could go either way.

haha...maybe

My wife and I homeschool our 7 year old identical twin girls. Homebrewing has now become a science lesson. They were all fired up to find out why there were bubbles coming out of the liquid, why it smelled the way it did, so on and so forth. It is an ongoing lesson since they are having a hard time understanding that some stuff that looks like sand is actually a living organism that eats sugar and "poops" out gas and alcohol (yes, they came up with that one!). I let them have a taste of my stout (a sip, mind you) and to my suprise, they actually liked it a lot! I poured one here while back while they were in the kitchen and while I was washing out the bottle, they were examining it. Jayme said, "Wow, great head, Dad!" That's my girls!

I like the Smirnoff ice comment, heh.

It's always cool/fun when people are genuinely interested in the brewing process. My roommate has just taken an interest in my hobby, he's clueless, but its just an opportunity for me to test myself on what I know, too. It's a learning experience for both of us, and I get to make more beer while explaining the process. It's win-win.

My wife and I homeschool our 7 year old identical twin girls. Homebrewing has now become a science lesson. They were all fired up to find out why there were bubbles coming out of the liquid, why it smelled the way it did, so on and so forth. It is an ongoing lesson since they are having a hard time understanding that some stuff that looks like sand is actually a living organism that eats sugar and "poops" out gas and alcohol (yes, they came up with that one!). I let them have a taste of my stout (a sip, mind you) and to my suprise, they actually liked it a lot! I poured one here while back while they were in the kitchen and while I was washing out the bottle, they were examining it. Jayme said, "Wow, great head, Dad!" That's my girls!

In another 14+ years they are going to make some homebrewer very happy. (But hopefully by that time they are making there own.)

Back