Cool ways for marking the in and out kegs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kauai_Kahuna

Reaction score
As I'm getting older, and usually nice and tipsy by the time I'm messing around with kegging I was wondering if anyone had some good ways to mark the beer out line so no matter how bad the lighting is, or how lit up the operator, the chance of putting the disconnect on the wrong post is removed. (I used to use and still have two pin lock kegs, but now all I can get is the ball lock ones). And if you manage to get it on, it can be a real pain to get off while beer or CO2 is leaking out. Under poor lighting, black letters on a black top really do not show up well.

Biggest points I think for the cool aha methods.

Corny Tags.jpeg

Or just get some glasses.
glasses.jpg

;)

Why??? They are already marked. :ban:

There are indentations in the rubber on top. They indicate where you should place your GAS IN posts.

If you can't find them in the dark with your eyes closed you're too wasted...;):D

Why??? They are already marked. :ban:

There are indentations in the rubber on top. They indicate where you should place your GAS IN posts.

If you can't find them in the dark with your eyes closed you're too wasted...;):D

At least one of my kegs doesn't have ANY indicators as to which side is gas and which side is beer. But, all of my gas posts have slots, so I just go by that.

Just notch the rubber cap then you have a tactile reminder. No light or glasses needed.

No notch = Gas out
1 Notch = Gas in

Or any combination you prefer.

When I put my keg into the keezer I always put the out facing one side and the in facing the other. So when I open it I always know which side is which.

On one of the rubber handles, I wrapped red electrical tape and sharpied it with "CO2". On the other is green tape with "Beer" on it. And yes, I have pin-locks. I just need it to be really, really clear!

I saw this at NHC 2008 and liked it enough to go get some colored electrical tape. It works for these old eyes.

KegMarkings.jpg

At least one of mine has no markings.
Industrial type paint pen-I and O.
Loads quicker than tape.

The most fool (and beer) proof method is colored o-rings. I have red & green gas o-rings, but always use black for the fluid post because all of my beer lines have black connectors.

Colored or white round stick on dots from Wal-Mart or the office supply store you can get a 100 or so for around a $1.

One post gets the dot below or beside it, the other don't.

I think the lots of tape markings would work the best, that way I can just yell out to someone the black on black or something. Would Electrical or Painters tape hold up best to being soaked in acid or oxygen cleaners?

Back