smack pack question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevecaaster

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I just left my activator smack pack out of the fridgerator in about 65 degree room temperature for about 7-8 days straight, not knowing that they were supposed to be refridgerated, is this bad?

Also, I just smacked it in preparation for my brew day tomorow (first AG yay!) I plan on pitching the Activator smack pack straight into a 1.055 -ish oatmeal stout, will this activator smack pack be ok or should I have made a starter, which i can not do tonight anyway...

thanks everyone, have a great brewing-weekend!

first. take the pack out of the fridge and let it warm to room temp before you pitch. second...if the pack swells its still viable for your batch

Smack it, if it swells up your good.
I have had great luck with 1056 smack packs, they always give me a quick start without starters as long as they are not old.
As far as the starters go, most calculators will tell you that you need to make one, and some brewers on here will tell you to always make one.
The smack packs I have bought always start quicker than the tubes of yeast I have bought.
In your case it might have not been a bad idea to make a starter since the pack was left out, but I think you will be fine

when i use the smackpak's i normally leave them out for about a day before i "smack" them. But being left out for about a week, you may of wanted to start a starter....if it swells up, well its good. it may take a lil bit of time for the yeast to get started onced pitched though.

i always forget to take mine out of the fridge, and I smack them about an hour after being out of the fridge. I always open them a bit because I'm afraid they'll blow up if I forget about them (is this stupid of me?, can they really blow up?).

I pitch 6 - 8 hours after I've smacked them (if it's less than 2 months old), and i never make a starter unless my beers over 1.060 and i've never had a problem.

Yeast is actually pretty resilient stuff, and I bet you it will take off. The pack has yeast nutrient in it and everything, so it should be an effective starter for a regular gravity beer in itself.

Someone let me know if this is ignorant.

Make a starter in the morning before brewing. It's gonna take 5-6 hours anyway and it could be jump starting while you work on the beer.

Next time you purchase ingredients get a few dry yeasts for those times when it may be needed. Have fun tommorrow.

Yeah, that's not good. After being out for a week, you really need to check viability with a starter. Can you postpone your brewday until you can step it up for a day or so?

This is a little bit different, but I had a smackpack come in the mail with some grains. It got smacked during shipment, I put it in the fridge immediately. I brewed 6 days later. I tried to get the yeast started, they did nothing, I let the starter sit for 6 hours. I was pissed.

Back