Spice, Herb, or Vegetable Beer None More Black Vanilla Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Put it in the fermenter at 2am this morning. Changed the mash schedule a bit. Mashed at 152 for the first thirty minutes then added 8 ounces of steel cut oats along with 8 cups of water to bump the temp up to 156 and then sparged with 165 degree water. Wort tasted great, but efficiency was a little low, OG reading was 1.050.

BigDaddyBeard said:
Put it in the fermenter at 2am this morning. Changed the mash schedule a bit. Mashed at 152 for the first thirty minutes then added 8 ounces of steel cut oats along with 8 cups of water to bump the temp up to 156 and then sparged with 165 degree water. Wort tasted great, but efficiency was a little low, OG reading was 1.050.

Long night, I've always wondered about using steel cut oats, what was your reasoning behind the oats?

Sadly, this recipe is still on my to-do list. Just so busy I haven't had a chance to brew anything let alone try this sweet sounding recipe.

Just added a little for some added mouthfeel, I will let you know how it turns out. Only thing I am worried about is my fermentation temp is getting too high. I thought my cellar is cooler than it really is, used wyeast 1084 Irish ale, and cellar is at 72 degrees but with activity I am reading 78.

And as for you specialkaye... No time? I brew in the middle of the night usually after my kids go to bed. Only time I seem to be able to get batches done

BigDaddyBeard said:
Just added a little for some added mouthfeel, I will let you know how it turns out. Only thing I am worried about is my fermentation temp is getting too high. I thought my cellar is cooler than it really is, used wyeast 1084 Irish ale, and cellar is at 72 degrees but with activity I am reading 78.

And as for you specialkaye... No time? I brew in the middle of the night usually after my kids go to bed. Only time I seem to be able to get batches done

If the temps are too high try setting your fermenter in a cold water bath

Planning on making this on Saturday. It will be my fourth brew and my first stout. Any suggestions for a newbie?

I have some Mexican Vanilla. Can I just use that?

O.G. 1.052 and gravity going into secondary is 1.008. Volume is a bit low but sample tastes great even though fermentation temps were around 75.

image-4227148897.jpg

BigDaddyBeard said:
O.G. 1.052 and gravity going into secondary is 1.008. Volume is a bit low but sample tastes great even though fermentation temps were around 75.

Nice, 1.008...wow sounds like the yeast you used did a dam good job. I brewed this as an extract beer and it was freaking amazing, this will be the next beer brewed on my new all grain set up.

herc1354 said:
Nice, 1.008...wow sounds like the yeast you used did a dam good job.

Yea for some reason I seem to get really good attenuation, even too good sometimes. I did an ale not long ago that I got 94% out of it. I didn't notice in time and the beer had a really strong alcohol presence.

Yea for some reason I seem to get really good attenuation, even too good sometimes. I did an ale not long ago that I got 94% out of it. I didn't notice in time and the beer had a really strong alcohol presence.

That would indicate you are fermenting at a rather high temp...at least for the type of yeast.

johnsnownw said:
That would indicate you are fermenting at a rather high temp...at least for the type of yeast.

Yea I used WY1056 and I think if I remember right my cellar temp was 72. I am still pretty new to brewing, but am looking into building a fermentation tank so this problem doesn't happen again. I stuck to saison over the summer.

My first post here, although I've been lurking for about a year and a half now. I decided to give this recipe a go for my 5th brew attempt. Brew day was exactly a month ago and I just took a sip after being in the bottle for a week and a half.....Very good!

I think all of my brews have come out quite well thus far, but even only a week and a half in conditioning and this is tops. I pretty much followed the recipe word for word, except I used a little bit less sugar to prime (carbonation does not seem to be a problem at all as even now it's retaining a head nicely) and 3 tbsp of Madagascar extract. I ended up hitting the 1.054 OG but ended up at a FG of 1.018, which for this brew I personally don't think is a bad thing (and neither do my taste buds at the moment).

There is just the slightest hint of vanilla, so if you are wanting a bolder vanilla taste I would up the dosage. I think it works well at this level as you don't want to take away from the other great flavors from the beer itself. A little bit of hop bitterness is definitely there and is balanced nicely with the obvious maltiness. I will be brewing this again for sure! :mug:

So I opened my first beer with this recipe. And it is very good. A little too much coffee flavor for me. Any idea how I can reduce that flavor? I also had some fermentation temp problems so there is that slight after taste, but the rest of the flavors over power it. I'm gonna try to get a big tub, put my fermenter in it and fill it with water next time

SheriffWhiteChocolate said:
So I opened my first beer with this recipe. And it is very good. A little too much coffee flavor for me. Any idea how I can reduce that flavor? I also had some fermentation temp problems so there is that slight after taste, but the rest of the flavors over power it. I'm gonna try to get a big tub, put my fermenter in it and fill it with water next time

What temp were you at?

Not entirely sure what the temp in fermenter was. But my air conditioning is at 72. And it's under a vent. The door is closed and no sunlight enters.

Hmm I will let you know how my batch turns out beings that I am fermenting at the same temp. I did look back thru the thread and it seems you had fermentation issues, what was the final gravity of you beer before bottling?

BigDaddyBeard said:
Hmm I will let you know how my batch turns out beings that I am fermenting at the same temp. I did look back thru the thread and it seems you had fermentation issues, what was the final gravity of you beer before bottling?

It hasn't changed after secondary .

How long has it been bottle conditioning? What does the "aftertaste" taste like?

The coffee flavor is most likely from the black patent malt, but it could also be coming from the dark extract. Next time you brew this use less or none of the black patent...and you'll know if that's the cause or if it's the extract you're using.

johnsnownw said:
How long has it been bottle conditioning? What does the "aftertaste" taste like?

The coffee flavor is most likely from the black patent malt, but it could also be coming from the dark extract. Next time you brew this use less or none of the black patent...and you'll know if that's the cause or if it's the extract you're using.

It was in the bottles conditioning for two weeks. The aftertaste is very hard to describe. It was bitter and overwhelming in my last beer. I brought it to a local homebrew store Nd the owner taste it and said the after taste is definitely caused by high fermentation temperatures

It was in the bottles conditioning for two weeks. The aftertaste is very hard to describe. It was bitter and overwhelming in my last beer. I brought it to a local homebrew store Nd the owner taste it and said the after taste is definitely caused by high fermentation temperatures

Well I hope mine turns out ok. I did taste a sample when racking to my secondary and didn't notice any off taste, but who knows how it may change in the next few weeks...

If you let that bottle condition a little bit longer, the bitterness may fade. 2 weeks is a pretty short time for bottle conditioning. I know 3 weeks gets thrown around a lot for conditioning times, but I've found that 4-5 weeks bottle conditioning is the sweet spot. I wish this weren't true, as you have to wait longer, but that's been my experience.

histo320 said:
6 lb. Dark Liquid Malt Extract 1 lb. Dark Dry Malt Extract .75 lb. Black Patent Malt .25 lb. Roasted Barley 1 oz Cluster (7.00%) at 60 minutes 1 oz East Kent Goldings (4.00) at 20 minutes 1 tsp Irish moss at 15 minutes 2.5 Tablespoons of Vanilla Extract (add to secondary) 1 White Labs Irish Ale Yeast Steeped grains at 150F for 35 minutes in oven Boil for 70 minutes After 14 days move to secondary and rack on top of 2.5 tbsp of vanilla. (I know I should have soaked beans in bourbon, but thought i would try this, so far so good) Primed with 3/4 cup of Corn Sugar. Enjoy!

At what temperature do you ferment?

Guidry said:
Are you asking what temp SHOULD you ferment, or what temp did histo320 ferment? Can't speak for histo, but WL says 65-68 degs F.
Answered my question, thanks!

Just mashed in on this thank you for recipe. Should be good for thanksgiving with the family

Just brewed a 10 gallons on Saturday, this was an all grain version, I've brewed the extract version and if was amazing! When I transfer to secondary 5 gallons will sit on oak Chips and vanilla Beans soaked in bourbon while the other 5 gallons will secondary on top of coco nibs vanilla beans and coffee. Here is a shot of my buddies watching the brewing process, the dude on the right is my brew buddy, behind them is the brew rig.

image-261384619.jpg

Going to go ahead and brew an all grain version of this next week when I have a spare carboy. I'm thinking soak oak and vanilla in makers mark for a few weeks and than secondary it. 152 for the mash sound right? Going to use us05 at 60 for the primary.

Chupidacabra said:
Going to go ahead and brew an all grain version of this next week when I have a spare carboy. I'm thinking soak oak and vanilla in makers mark for a few weeks and than secondary it. 152 for the mash sound right? Going to use us05 at 60 for the primary.

When I plugged this brew into beer smith the estimated gravity is 1.065, I hit 1.066 at completion of the boil for a 10 gal brew.

I just made a porter with Maker's...and wasn't happy with the amount of flavor imparted. If you can swing it, try using "Cask Strength" Bourbon. I think that would give a more authentic bourbon barrel presence, than the watered down Maker's. Just a suggestion.

johnsnownw said:
I just made a porter with Maker's...and wasn't happy with the amount of flavor imparted. If you can swing it, try using "Cask Strength" Bourbon. I think that would give a more authentic bourbon barrel presence, than the watered down Maker's. Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the heads up. Will see what I can do.

Just brewed a batch and have had it sitting in the secondary for about a week. I used home made vanilla extract and added a few of the beans from our extract bottle. Due to my late start and the need to have it on tap for our thanksgiving gathering I'm going to keg it a bit earlier than I normally would. Would there be any harm in tossing the beans into the keg to keep adding to the vanilla flavor?

Steve

Just brewed a batch and have had it sitting in the secondary for about a week. I used home made vanilla extract and added a few of the beans from our extract bottle. Due to my late start and the need to have it on tap for our thanksgiving gathering I'm going to keg it a bit earlier than I normally would. Would there be any harm in tossing the beans into the keg to keep adding to the vanilla flavor?

Steve

Probably not, for the amount of time the beer will be in the keg. However, dependent on how long the beans were in the extract, they may have already contributed all their flavor. So...lets say the beans were in the alcohol for around 8 weeks...then they are most likely not going to contribute anything to the beer.

Only drawback I see is they may get pulled into the pick up tube and block it....I doubt you'll get any contribution though. I soak my beans for 3 days then rack the wort on them for 7-14 days.

herc1354 said:
Just brewed a 10 gallons on Saturday, this was an all grain version, I've brewed the extract version and if was amazing! When I transfer to secondary 5 gallons will sit on oak Chips and vanilla Beans soaked in bourbon while the other 5 gallons will secondary on top of coco nibs vanilla beans and coffee. Here is a shot of my buddies watching the brewing process, the dude on the right is my brew buddy, behind them is the brew rig.

This beer has been in kegs for a month, it is freaking amazing and almost gone, need to brew more

I made the extract version but think I made a huge error. Previously I have only used kits, this was my first extract. Followed instructions regarding steeping fine, the recipe then just says 'boil'. I now realize that the boil was probably meant to have the liquid malt/DME added :( Basically my boil liquid was just the product of the patent/barley steep in 2 gallons of water. I added the liquid and dry malts to the primary.

Put this brew down yesterday and it is bubbling away so I will let it run its course unless someone have a great suggestion. I was really just after some speculation about whether it will taste ok.

I did the numbers and my hop extraction would have been in a gravity of about 1.005. Does this mean my stout might turn out much too bitter? Kinda gutted as this was also my first try with liquid yeast (wyeast 1084) so it was a relatively time consuming and expensive one to muck up.

Latest posts

Back