Graff (Malty, slightly hopped cider)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I brewed my first beer 2 weeks ago. I saw this recipe and decided I had to try it. I picked up the ingredients and should be brewing in the next few days. Thank you for the thread, I made it about 40 pages so far!

One Week Mark- Im pretty sure this is done fermenting. Took a hyrdometer reading and it was at 1.004. Same as day 5. Starting to clear up a little. Not a cloudy. Taste - there is a good tart apple taste to it. better than it was 2 days ago. Time to let it sit in the carboy for another week then to bottles.

Bottled Last night. Used 2/3 cup of priming sugar. Hopefully that was enough, im going to let it sit for a few weeks and then ill check one out. Hopefully it'll sweeten up, it was still a little tart/sour. Ill give an update and let you know. Thanks

How much krausen does this recipe usually produce? I just brewed today and it is currently bubbling away in a 5 gal better bottle with a 3 piece airlock.

I currently only have the standard tubing that came ith my Midwest kit, and I don't think it will fit in the bung for a blow off tube. I've heard you can place sanitized aluminum foil over the carboy, anyone have experience with this?

How much krausen does this recipe usually produce? I just brewed today and it is currently bubbling away in a 5 gal better bottle with a 3 piece airlock.

I currently only have the standard tubing that came ith my Midwest kit, and I don't think it will fit in the bung for a blow off tube. I've heard you can place sanitized aluminum foil over the carboy, anyone have experience with this?

Mine produced about an inch if that in my 8 gallon bucket. Less than any of my full beers have ever produced. It started fast and went fairly quick, it was down to 1.010 within a week on a fresh pack of Notty.

Mine produced about an inch if that in my 8 gallon bucket. Less than any of my full beers have ever produced. It started fast and went fairly quick, it was down to 1.010 within a week on a fresh pack of Notty.
Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm a new brewer and I'm a bit worried using 5 gal carboy with not a lot of headspace. I'm using US04 in about 64 degrees.

My primary bucket is 6.5 gallons and an airlock has been working great with an IPA using US05 in around 64 degrees.

Thanks for the quick feedback. I'm a new brewer and I'm a bit worried using 5 gal carboy with not a lot of headspace. I'm using US04 in about 64 degrees.

My primary bucket is 6.5 gallons and an airlock has been working great with an IPA using US05 in around 64 degrees.

At 64F you should at least be protected against the yeast "going crazy" before you notice . . . no promises on that, though. :) Are you controlling based on internal temperature, or at least a fermometer? Or just ambient temps (which will be lower than the brew itself by a number of degrees)? I'd just keep an eye on it, especially the first 48 hours. In a carboy, the head space goes quickly due to the tapering volume. I'd put it on a towel or something just in case it goes off while you're in bed. Honestly, I'd put foil on it or just leave it open until it's settled. You can always re-sanitize the mouth of the carboy after you've cleaned up a blow-off. I'd rather do that than clean the ceiling if an airlock got clogged and blew off under pressure! I stopped using my glass carboys anyway, though, so I just use a bucket with a lid, without anything in the airlock hole (like you said, it's too small for a decent blow-off tube).

I don't want to freak you out, but I used S05 in my most recent batch at an ambient temp of ~60 degrees, and the five gallon batch blew the airlock off the 6.5 gallon carboy it was fermenting in. You may want to consider a blowoff tube.

At 64F you should at least be protected against the yeast "going crazy" before you notice . . . no promises on that, though. :) Are you controlling based on internal temperature, or at least a fermometer? Or just ambient temps (which will be lower than the brew itself by a number of degrees)? I'd just keep an eye on it, especially the first 48 hours. In a carboy, the head space goes quickly due to the tapering volume. I'd put it on a towel or something just in case it goes off while you're in bed. Honestly, I'd put foil on it or just leave it open until it's settled. You can always re-sanitize the mouth of the carboy after you've cleaned up a blow-off. I'd rather do that than clean the ceiling if an airlock got clogged and blew off under pressure! I stopped using my glass carboys anyway, though, so I just use a bucket with a lid, without anything in the airlock hole (like you said, it's too small for a decent blow-off tube).
Looks like I'm at 65 ambient, I can't check the fermenting temp just yet as I need another LCD thermometer. I ended up adding the tube from my siphon to the carboy bung to rig a blow off tube just to be safe.

I don't want to freak you out, but I used S05 in my most recent batch at an ambient temp of ~60 degrees, and the five gallon batch blew the airlock off the 6.5 gallon carboy it was fermenting in. You may want to consider a blowoff tube.
Thanks for the heads up, 05 was for my IPA but I'm okay there. I'm currently using 04 for the graff. I decided to rig a blow off just in case, don't want to come home to a mess.

While watching the Brewing TV episode on Graf and drinking a home brewed sour Saison, I thought "This tastes really tart and apple-like (probably primed the ole brain with the content of the video, but what the hell), I wonder what it would taste like if I mixed my Apfelwein and Bretted Saison... WOW!!! So good, so complex and rich, so dry and refreshing. The tartness of the beer is a perfect complement to the dry apple character of the cider. I will have to try to replicate this as a graf recipe. I'll try to ferment it together, but even as a blended drink this is phenomenal!

Pics of my sour graf concoction...any ideas for names?

ForumRunner_20130218_225056.png

ForumRunner_20130218_225105.png

Looks like I'm at 65 ambient, I can't check the fermenting temp just yet as I need another LCD thermometer. I ended up adding the tube from my siphon to the carboy bung to rig a blow off tube just to be safe.

You can also take the center out of the 3 peice air lock and put the tubing on the post inside.

Just brewed a Graf up on Saturday. Brewed a 50/50 for 60 min as follows

Wort:
2.5 Gallons H2O - Heat to 160 degrees

Steep the following grains for 30 min:
8 oz Crystal 120
16 oz Crystal 60
4 oz Chocolate Malt
4 oz Cara Pils

Bring to a boil and add:
3 lbs Dark DME
1 oz Saaz 4.0 AA - 60 min
1 warfloc - 5 min

Crash cool to 70 degrees

In carboy or BB pour sterilized cider (the containers), we used 2.5 Gallons Zeiglers All Natural Apple Cider no additives

Add wort to cider

Mix

Add yeast, we used Saf-04 Dry Yeast

Our plan is 30 days in the primary

And bottle ferment for an additional 75 - 90 days

And we'll take it from there

We're looking forward to the ride!

Made a batch tonight... 2.5gl worth... Now I know why you guys use DME and steep the grains. Boiling down to a decent gravity is not all that much fun. Ended up with a half gallon of 1.100 and after mixing it was 1.054. I used the extra leftover grain I had laying around, two row, munich, white wheat malt, flaked wheat, C40 and C80. Pitched on S-04, so now we wait.

I just picked up my grain bill, going to brew this tomorrow for a ten gallon batch.

6lb two row
1lb special b
4 oz honey malt
4 oz flaked wheat
8 oz carapils
1 oz us fuggles
S-05 in each carboy

So I am about 3 weeks into the ferment... I pulled off a sample to taste. Seems pretty dry and a little harsh at this point. My gravity is at 1.023 from an OG of 1.065. Seems to be going a bit slow..

woknblues said:
So I am about 3 weeks into the ferment... I pulled off a sample to taste. Seems pretty dry and a little harsh at this point. My gravity is at 1.023 from an OG of 1.065. Seems to be going a bit slow..

From everything I've read .. Slow and steady wins the race with this brew ... Well and a bit of patience too

I made a high gravity cider with 5 gallons of store bought aj , 2 vpounds of light brown sugar, 1 pound white sugar, 4 tbls of cinnamon, and dry pitched champagne yeast.
The airlock was bubbling good for three days when i got the urge to boil up 3.3 pounds of hopped dark lme.I let it cool to the same temp as the cider and in it went. that was 4 days ago and it is still going strong.
Is this going to be drinkable?

rand3rd said:
I made a high gravity cider with 5 gallons of store bought aj , 2 vpounds of light brown sugar, 1 pound white sugar, 4 tbls of cinnamon, and dry pitched champagne yeast.
The airlock was bubbling good for three days when i got the urge to boil up 3.3 pounds of hopped dark lme.I let it cool to the same temp as the cider and in it went. that was 4 days ago and it is still going strong.
Is this going to be drinkable?

Only you shall find out haha but I'm guessin it's gonna be pretty darn dry. Keep us updated for sure!

woknblues said:
True... three weeks and i am chomping at the bit!!

Yeah I have mine going now Saturday will be 1 week fermenting ... I'm interested to see how a 50/50 will turn out ... We're going to let it go for a month in primary and condition til may then bottle ... Sigh patience sucks

I just pulled a sample of this that is 1 week into fermentation. IT TASTES AMAZING. Great smell, not too dry, and has a body of an ale. 7 more days in the primary then I prime and carb er' up for a few weeks.

Brandon O- Thank you for this recipe. I'm a huge DTS fan and this recipe is what actually got me into homebrewing.

I just pulled a sample of this that is 1 week into fermentation. IT TASTES AMAZING. Great smell, not too dry, and has a body of an ale. 7 more days in the primary then I prime and carb er' up for a few weeks.

Brandon O- Thank you for this recipe. I'm a huge DTS fan and this recipe is what actually got me into homebrewing.

Keep us posted! I just discovered this recipe after a couple years of brewing but I read my first DTS book when I was 10 or 11...now I have to go read them again! But this time I can wash em down with real graf!

BTW...anyone tried making a sour graf? I blended a Brett Saison and Apfelwein and it was fantastic but I wonder if it will be as good brewed together rather than blended post fermentation.

I have a question or two. I've never brewed anything. I am going to try and make the Graff. My first question is. when and how do you add the carbonated to his drink? and what do you use to carbonate it?

I have a question or two. I've never brewed anything. I am going to try and make the Graff. My first question is. when and how do you add the carbonated to his drink? and what do you use to carbonate it?

Your yeast will do that for you. If you add a small amount of sugar and bottle. The yeast eats the sugar and produces CO2. The CO2 can't get out of the bottle and disolves into the beer.

Welcome HBT :D

More specifically, once fermentation is complete, you'll add priming sugar to your Graf. From what I have read 4oz appears to be the correct amount for a 5 gallon batch. Once you've added the priming sugar this will restart fermentation (which as previously mentioned produces CO2 and alcohol). Once your Graf has reached the levels of carbonation you like you can pasteurize it to kill off any active yeast. Keep in mind that you can produce bottle bombs by:
1) Going overboard with your priming sugar.
2) Adding adequate priming sugar but not checking your carbonation levels.
3) Not pasteurizing your Graf

As stated I'm new to this game also, so if I've provided inaccurate information someone PLEASE correct me. My wife will go nuts if she finds broken bottles in our office. :drunk:

More specifically, once fermentation is complete, you'll add priming sugar to your Graf. From what I have read 4oz appears to be the correct amount for a 5 gallon batch. Once you've added the priming sugar this will restart fermentation (which as previously mentioned produces CO2 and alcohol). Once your Graf has reached the levels of carbonation you like you can pasteurize it to kill off any active yeast. Keep in mind that you can produce bottle bombs by:
1) Going overboard with your priming sugar.
2) Adding adequate priming sugar but not checking your carbonation levels.
3) Not pasteurizing your Graf

As stated I'm new to this game also, so if I've provided inaccurate information someone PLEASE correct me. My wife will go nuts if she finds broken bottles in our office. :drunk:

4 oz is fine to prime with. Points 2 and 3 are not accurate as there is no need to pasturize this drink.

Zuzu said:
ahh. thanks a lot guys for the info! :mug:

No worries brother. I've learned us new guys have a little learning curve to figure out. I've figured out just enough to get me in trouble and HOPEFULLY produce a good quality product. Lol

I wonder. is there a change in taste if you do force-carbonating with pressurized CO2 with a keg system. Or should you just let it carb on it's own?

So my Graff Cider has been in the bottle for almost three weeks after 2 weeks primary and one in secondary. I followed recipe to the "t", except racking to secondary, using 120l crystal as suggested when using cheaper juice. I used Motts. I used Fuggles for hop addition. I made this for the wife since she is the cider person in the house. Tried one today to see the carb level and check flavor. All I can say is I was disappointed. It's still a little tart and carb levels were still not where I want them to be. I used 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime in a 5 gal batch. As for the flavor, I opted to make this because some said it was compariable to Woodchuck and the wife is a big fan of Woodchuck Cider. I know this recipe is like comparing apples to oranges since Woodchuck is a true cider, but IMO,this is nothing like Woodchuck. The flavor is still a little tart and there is little to no apple flavor. I am gonna let this sit and age for a bit to see how the flavor comes through but I can honestly say that I probably won't brew this again.

So my Graff Cider has been in the bottle for almost three weeks after 2 weeks primary and one in secondary. I followed recipe to the "t", except racking to secondary, using 120l crystal as suggested when using cheaper juice. I used Motts. I used Fuggles for hop addition. I made this for the wife since she is the cider person in the house. Tried one today to see the carb level and check flavor. All I can say is I was disappointed. It's still a little tart and carb levels were still not where I want them to be. I used 3/4 cup corn sugar to prime in a 5 gal batch. As for the flavor, I opted to make this because some said it was compariable to Woodchuck and the wife is a big fan of Woodchuck Cider. I know this recipe is like comparing apples to oranges since Woodchuck is a true cider, but IMO,this is nothing like Woodchuck. The flavor is still a little tart and there is little to no apple flavor. I am gonna let this sit and age for a bit to see how the flavor comes through but I can honestly say that I probably won't brew this again.

<you may already know this>
You probably need to let this sit longer if it's not even carbed yet.
</you may already know this>

I really like this stuff, but I don't think it tastes very much like Woodchuck cider. A pretty good apple flavor comes through in mine, but I also used some relatively expensive organic apple juice. All the regular apple juice I could find was from China, and I didn't like the idea of drinking Chinese apple juice.

Yeah I already knew that. Lol. It is carbed but not to the point where I want but then again most ciders are not carbed like beer. It's going on three weeks in the bottle and we are leaving town for week this coming Saturday. I figured I would let it sit til the before I checked again. That would make five weeks bottle conditioning.

I just finished bottling 24 22oz'rs of my Graf. I primed with 4oz priming sugar now it's time to play the waiting game. I had enough to top off a pint glass for some immediate indulgence. I have to say its still AMAZING. Now I'm ready to get these bad boys carbed up.

image-711289521.jpg

Back