Oktoberfest yeast options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

galacticbrewing12

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I am considering making my first Oktoberfest beer from extract and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions regarding what yeast to use. I have the ability to lager and would prefer to do so being the style of beer. I have generally seen the most success using Wyeast and based upon their options I am considering using the Wyeast 233 Oktoberfest Lager blend, but am certainly open to any other suggestions.

Do you mean 2633? that sounds like the perfect yeast for the style, as long as you are fermenting at the correct temperature. What temperature is your lagering setup at? The recommend range for that yeast is 48-58, and I would keep the temp toward the low end and give two weeks at 50 and then put it in the fridge for at least five weeks.

I made an Oktoberfest last month and, upon the recommendation of others, used the White Labs Southern German Lager strain. It is still lagering so I cannot provide a full report yet. But the yeast performed extremely well in terms of fermentation time. I kept it around 50 degrees for a week followed by a day or two d-rest, then lagering. It took the beer from 1.064 to 1.018 in about 10 days. Like I said, it is still lagering (may tap around Halloween) but the aroma at kegging seemed very clean, malty, grainy, etc.

Do you mean 2633? that sounds like the perfect yeast for the style, as long as you are fermenting at the correct temperature. What temperature is your lagering setup at? The recommend range for that yeast is 48-58, and I would keep the temp toward the low end and give two weeks at 50 and then put it in the fridge for at least five weeks.

I have a keezer that I would plan on lagering in. I have the ability to have temperature control, so that I can keep it within the necessary range.

As an update, I couldn't resist any more and got into this keg of Oktoberfest tonight. I couldn't be more pleased with the results using the Southern German Lager strain from White Labs. Malty, dry, very clean, no diacetyl or sulfur that I can detect.

I have had great results with WLP833, German Bock Lager. This yeasts final beer profile leans towards malty without a lot of sweetness. That is my preferred Oktoberfest flavor. I find many US Oktoberfest beers lean towards sweetness and the Germans lean towards malty.

Back