Food safe silicone adhesive, or poisoning myself?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

StittsvilleJames

Reaction score
I am trying to seal my mash tun where I have the brass fittings going into it, and was wondering if anyone knows if Permatex Clear RTV high temp silicone adhesive would be safe to use in it?

This stuff:
http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brow...r+RTV+Silicone+Adhesive+Sealant.jsp?locale=en

I read that it's ok to use "around" food (specifically from a bbq forum) but would it be ok to have submerged under hot wort for an hour?

I dont' want to end up like a mad hatter or something.

You could try to find the MSDS for this if you can find one, but I would stay away from silicone that isn't specifically listed as food-contact safe. Some silicone is mixed with anti-fungal agents, for example, and you wouldn't want that in a mash tun. Aquarium silicone is usually additive free.

Well, I read the actual product label at the store today, and it says it is not intended for food, so I stayed away from it. Found some epoxy putty stuff that says it can be used in drinking water applications, so I figured good enough. Hope it sticks good enough and doesn't leak.

Here in Australia I use this: http://www.crh.com.au/products/fabrication-supplies/sealants/kason-sil-kason-food-grade-silicone/

$20 a tube. Should be something similar in the US.

"High temperature formula, heat resistant to 232ºC
(450ºF). Premium grade. Air-cures overnight;
tack-free in 15 minutes.
Waterproof adhesive bonds better than generic sealants; wont peel, reduces leaks."

Magical Snap - 2012.10.07 15.07 - 003.jpg

For my first mash tun I did use silicone to seal a small leak inside and outside...I brewed over a dozen batches with it and never had any off flavors and I'm still typing away..I still use from time to time when I'm doing two batches at once

of all non-food-safe-grade products that people on these forums normally use, silicone caulk is probably the least of your concern. that said- if you can get some that says specifically "food grade", all the better.

Look for silicone sealant that says it's safe for aquariums. Lowes sells it but I've only seen it in squeeze tubes, so you can't use it in a caulking gun.

Look for a material that meets FDA 21 CFR 177.2600. Many sites reference food safe but confuse intermittent contact with continuous contact. You want to meet continuous contact.

Here are some brands in addition to the one shown above:
Dap 08641 Dow Corning Clear Silicone Se
Sil-Bond 4500
Momentive RTV 108, Translucent, One-Part Silicone Sealant

there are many others.

Back