Whirlpool Port location on a Keggle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrider736

Reaction score
I searched out before posting, and read that the location ins't that important.
If I am starting out with 5gallon brews and move up to 10gallon brews would the best spot be at the 5gallon mark ??

I put mine at 7 gallons

-=Jason=-
Sent from my HTC Incredible using Home Brew Talk

I put mine at 7 gallons

-=Jason=-

Just wondering what size brews you do ? Mounting it at the 7gallon point would that be at or just above the pre-boil level of a 5gallon brew ?

Are you talking about a whirlpool on a boil kettle? Wouldn't you want that as close to the bottom as possible to move the most wort?

Sorry for the confusion, I was looking for info on a Brew Kettle application, but was reading up on a thread for a Mash Tun application.

Ok. For a Brew Kettle application I want to install it as close to the bottom of my Keggle, and in a Mash Tun application some were in the middle ?? Is this correct ??

ThX All

I just got a new March pump, and am planning on installing a whirlpool in by BK this weekend. I plan on putting it close to the bottom, right above the drain.

If I were installing in the MLT, I would want it as close to the top of the grainbed as possible.

LKABrewer said:
I just got a new March pump, and am planning on installing a whirlpool in by BK this weekend. I plan on putting it close to the bottom, right above the drain.

If I were installing in the MLT, I would want it as close to the top of the grainbed as possible.

Different recipes = different amounts if grain.

MLT = at the top of the vessel
BK = where ever you want it.

Like said at seven gallons mine points down for a five gallon batch and for 10 gallon batches it's in the middle

-=Jason=-

I think something you will have to consider here, that no one has mentioned, is that you will need to install a valve on the port if you install it below the fluid level. If you are moving up to 10 gallons, then you will want to put it very near the top unless you are going to put a valve on it. With a valve, you can put it anywhere you want.

How do you guys that whirlpool have your bottom valve and dip tube setup on a keggle, and how much leftover wort is in the bottom afterwards?

milesvdustin said:
How do you guys that whirlpool have your bottom valve and dip tube setup on a keggle, and how much leftover wort is in the bottom afterwards?

My whirlpool port is a 1/2" coupling with a 90* barbed fitting threaded in. It's mounted about 1/3 of the way from the bottom. With my march pump it gets a great whirlpool going!

My pick up tube is 2" off center and about 1/8" from bottom at that point. I have a dead space of about 12 oz. not too bad
(but I also have a dead center bottom drain as well and I open that up after I stop the whirlpool and drain any trub and collect those remaining ounces if I wanted to. But I don't)

I am not a keggle user. I use a traditional 26 gallon kettle. I whirlpool through my Counterflow Chiller, out around the 7-gallon mark and recirculate back in at the bottom of the kettle through a diverter tube to create the whirlpool. I don't have an elbow or tube on the top (exit) port and I have found that I have a layer of hot wort near the top of the kettle and very cool wort on the bottom. I plan to put some kind of diverter on the top port to make sure I am pulling more of the hot wort from the top. If you are planning on chilling like I am, you may want to make sure your whirlpool is mixing the upper and lower levels of your wort a bit to get even cooling.

I have mine set with the return port near the top of the kettle. From there, I ran copper tubing down with an elbow to an area beneath wort level. The return is pointed the opposite way from the pickup. The pickup pulls the whirlpool at the bottom of the kettle and the return pushes it closer to the top.

IMAG0275-1.jpg

Works well.

Bad picture, but you should be able to see how I do it. This is a stainless stell 90deg elbow and diptube setup from BargainFittings. I typically allow for leaving about 1.5 gallons at the bottom due to trubs and hops. This is a 26 gallon kettle, so I leave a bit more.

I use this as the return from the CFC and to start a whirlpool. I draw off of a port near the top of the wort.

2012-08-23 22.42.54.jpg

Back