Easy Amber Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

calbrew

Reaction score
Recipe Type
Extract
Yeast
Wyeast American Ale 1056
Yeast Starter
no
Additional Yeast or Yeast Starter
none
Batch Size (Gallons)
5 gallons
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
10 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
25 days @ 68F
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
none
Additional Fermentation
none
Tasting Notes
Malty, slightly sweet with good carbonation. Very drinkable
5 lbs light LME
2 lbs light DME
1 lb clover honey
.5 lb carapils malt
1 lb crystal 60L
1.5 oz cascade whole hops (boil 55 min)
.5 oz cascade whole hops (finishing)
1 pk wyeast American Ale 1056

Bottled 48 12 oz bottles. Opened one after a week and it had good carbonation with a nice amber color. Good body, not watery at all. Pleased with how good and easy this was.:mug:

I made some recipe months ago and the shop threw in an out-of-date Wyeast 1056 smack-pack....the date "expired" in 2008. So, I figured what the heck and made a starter....it was slow to get going but now it is fine.

I was looking for something to make with it and I have never tried a lighter beer like this.

I also have some leftover hops (both leaf and pellet) and some other extra ingredients (including honey) that I must have had a plan for before I bought a house...................NOW...no idea what I was planning.

SO......do you think I could use other hops if I don't have the ones you used..and not negatively impact the flavor.

ALSO...how long did you "steep" the carapils and crystal malts? (I assume you did a partial mash).....something along the lines of 155degrees for 40-60mins and then sparge/rinse with 170degree water?

THANKS! I'm looking forward to this one!

This has been my favorite brew. Done it twice now and it's been delicious.
Similar to a pale ale but slightly less bitter and sweeter. Very drinkable. Great color too.
I simplified the recipe tho:
6.5 lbs light LME
1.5 lbs clover honey
1 lb crystal
irish moss
same hops
2weeks in primary
1week secondary

Boil size?

I'm not 100% on converting ingredient lists into the actual process. Please fill in my blanks on this, or flat-out correct me.

1) Steep grains in _________gal of water at approx. 155* for 25/30min. Remove grain bag. Sparge with _______gal. at ___*.

2) Bring to boil. Add DME, stirring to dissolve. Repeat with LME. Return to boil. Boil for 60 min.

3) Add hops at 60min.

4) (Add Irish Moss at 15min.)

5) Add hops at 5min.

6) Flame out. Chill to 70*. Pitch yeast.....

Etc.

When does the honey go in?
What else am I missing?

Boil size?

I'm not 100% on converting ingredient lists into the actual process. Please fill in my blanks on this, or flat-out correct me.

1) Steep grains in _________gal of water at approx. 155* for 25/30min. Remove grain bag. Sparge with _______gal. at ___*.

2) Bring to boil. Add DME, stirring to dissolve. Repeat with LME. Return to boil. Boil for 60 min.

3) Add hops at 60min.

4) (Add Irish Moss at 15min.)

5) Add hops at 5min.

6) Flame out. Chill to 70*. Pitch yeast.....

Etc.

When does the honey go in?
What else am I missing?

You can steep in your boil volume, no need to sparge. You can add the honey at flame out. Everything else looks great!

what's the boil volume for a partial boil?

I can't boil more than 4 1/2 gallons, so how can i determine what a good boil volume would be if I were doing a partial boil?

Again, how do I make the adjustments if I'm only boiling 3gal and adding water to make 5 gal. or bring it to 1.060?

I think I have most of this at home already, but may have to make a substitution or two. What do you all think about?

6 lbs light DME
1 lb honey
.5 lb carapils malt
1 lb crystal 60L
1.5 oz cascade whole hops (boil 55 min)
.5 oz cascade whole hops (finishing)
White Labs WLP001

Looking to do this in a 2 to 2 1/2 gallon partial boil and top off (don't have a wort chiller yet). Any thoughts? Should I change the hops any if I do this?

What kind of OG should I expect?

Sorry I'm still very new to all of this, only my 3rd or 4th batch.
-Tim

Thinking of brewing this recipe this weekend, but my LHBS does not usually sell whole hops, just the pellets. Will it be a problem if I use pellets instead?

Back