Cost of kegging

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Guitarmike7495

Reaction score
Realisticly what is the least that I could spend and be able to have a kegging setup and be able to keep it cool?

Keep an eye on Craigslist. You can often find fridge's for next to nothing. About a year ago I bought a fridge, faucet, CO2 tank and couple odds and ends for $50. I recently upgraded the fridge for a newer one at $150.

A friend picked up a couple cornies from a restaurant that was closing about 5 years ago and gave two to me. Can't get much cheaper than that!

I picked up a mini fridge that was already converted to a keggerator, two kegs, and some spare ball lock parts for $75 (from a friend). Then a new CO2 tank cost me $75 I think w/ regulator. Like Hoppus said, keep an eye on craigslist. You can usually find what you need.

Yeah, if you are not picky or impatient it's the same with anything; craigslist or kijiji. I tried that but ended up buying everything new. Couldn't find a good compact fridge without a freezer and NOBODY in my area sells any kegging equipment, other than a monstrous old Fosters kegerator that was lime green.

Total bill so far is $750, I think that's about it. It's a 4.4cu ft Danby fridge ($150), four 5 gallon kegs ($160), and a two tap setup with Perlick taps from kegconnection ($360). There's other minor stuff like a drip tray, rails for the back and sides of the fridge, and beer line cleaner.

Felt a bit sad cutting up a brand new fridge. But it's going to be sweet.

The cost depends on what you want to be able to do. I know some people just use spare room in a fridge, a small co2 tank, regulator, and picnic taps. That is going to be relatively cheap.

I also know friends that have True 3 door kegerators with multiple towers and forward sealing faucets.

My personal setup is even more expensive, but I've been kegging and brewing for many years now, and have accumulated a lot of equipment.

Why don't we start with what your budget is, and what related equipment you already have. Then we can give you some more specific suggestions on what you can do for the short term, as well as plan for the long-term.

The cost depends on what you want to be able to do. I know some people just use spare room in a fridge, a small co2 tank, regulator, and picnic taps. That is going to be relatively cheap.

I also know friends that have True 3 door kegerators with multiple towers and forward sealing faucets.

My personal setup is even more expensive, but I've been kegging and brewing for many years now, and have accumulated a lot of equipment.

Why don't we start with what your budget is, and what related equipment you already have. Then we can give you some more specific suggestions on what you can do for the short term, as well as plan for the long-term.

+1 to all of this with the additional comment that you should watch out for older fridges or chest freezers. You may find something really cheap for sale on Craig's list but then find that it's not Energy Star rated and that it's going to cost more to run each year than it cost to buy initially. The newer ones aren't that much more expensive and can save you money over the long haul.

Chest freezer+hoses, regulator and tap aren't that much. I don't recommend buying a tank because you can usually put a deposit down on one and then just keep exchanging it for a fully charged one. $50 deposit+$13 recharge fee for a 5 lb tank for me and I'm using it for 4 kegs.

For a system that will give you plenty of flexibility for expansion you can probably figure on $200-$400 initially with the biggest expense probably being the fridge or freezer.

CL freezers or buy a small cheap one form the Home Improvement store. Browse ads on here or CL for kegerators or parts. Ebay CO2 stuff if you have to.

Realize that a bigger CO2 tank might be a good option. I bought a 5# tank for like $80 and refills cost $16. A 20# tank would be something like $120, but the refills here only cost $19...

Back