whats the best way to up abv

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fshnne1

Reaction score
I hear of people using sugar, Don't like that idea, longer boils, honey etc.

I have a two week camping trip I take every year in June and would like to have a high abv beer, but not the over powering alcohol taste just a strong abv

every beer I end up abotu 4.3%

Easy....more fermentable content from more extract or more grain.

Course you might want to up the IBUs accordingly or just brew a recipe that results in a higher ABV than what you have been brewing.

Brew a higher gravity style: one with more malt, but also a hop bill that balances and complements the higher malt content.

What styles do you usually brew?

If you like Pale Ales, look at IPA recipes.

If you like Munich Dunkel, look at Bock or Doppelbock recipes.

etc.

Well....you can think of it few ways. Abv is a number that comes from the difference of your original gravity and your final gravity. The larger the difference=higher abv. So you can try to get your OG higher or try to get your final gravity lower.
If you are an extract brewer....add more extract to bump up your OG, or boil for longer so you have the same amount of "sugars" in a smaller volume.
If you are all grain...the easiest answer would be to add more grain to your grist (but there is also effiency issues and pH and mash temp that all could effect the OG)
In terms of trying to get the final gravity lower....you would need to find a high attenuating yeast strain that fits well with your fermentation temps so that it can attenuate to its fullest potential.

If you dont want to add any taste or feel you could also try rice.
HBS will sell rice solids if you dont mash. It will not add any taste or body but it will keep it light and raise the ABV

Also, it's kinda hard to get more ABV without adding alcohol taste too. Anytime I sample an imperial anything, the alcohol burn is just more than I care for. A certain amount of malty flavor can cover it up for a while but then it just cuts through.

Back