First competition......golden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Newton

Reaction score
Gold.jpg

Sorry, I had to brag to somebody. Maybe I should quit competing now...:cross:

It is an American style wheat beer. I've been brewing for about a year and entered this one in competition just to get some feedback on my brewing. I got an email today saying this win qualified me to enter the Masters Championship of Amateur Brewing 2012 in the light hybrid category. So I'm pretty pumped. The recipe is more or less right out of Brewing Classic Styles. I adjusted the hopping slightly. I think the key with this one is that I fermented it at an ambient temperature of about 59 degrees (lower level of my house in winter). That S-05 slowly chugged along for about 2 weeks, but the result was an extremely clean tasting ale.

makes me want to find a contest to get my beer criticized by folks other than friends... they all think I brew gold.. I know better :) -Though it's pretty f'n good if you ask me.. -maybe a bit biased

Here's the ingredients:

6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
6.00 lb White Wheat Malt (2.4 SRM) Grain 50.00 %
0.50 oz Williamette [4.50 %] (60 min) Hops 7.2 IBU
0.50 oz Pearle [6.70 %] (60 min) Hops 10.8 IBU
0.50 oz Williamette [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] (0 min) Hops -
1 Pkgs Safale S-05 Yeast-Ale

I mashed it for 90 minutes at 151, with a mashout. 75 minute boil, with the wort chilled over the course of several hours in a snow pile--topped off with about a half gallon of water.

That is pretty cool. You need to setup a place for awards like over the fireplace or even better the brew cave. Are you thinking of doing the same thing for 2012 or switching it up?

Congrats. A score of 43 is very fine indeed! Anthing over 40 better be one of the best of that kind you've ever had, in my book.

True, 43 is darn good! From my experience, anything getting close to that 50 mark would probably make a judge die from rapture!

Mid-30s is very respectable, actually.

Congrats, I enter comps for feedback. Swmbo had me put a standard bitter in the fair last year she liked but I didn't........41 and best of class ale.

Again GREAT JOB

I mashed it for 90 minutes at 151, with a mashout. 75 minute boil, with the wort chilled over the course of several hours in a snow pile--topped off with about a half gallon of water.

Sounds great! did you sparge at all? Also, why did you top off with about a half gallon of water? Congrats again!

Back