Yeast for an IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dae06

Reaction score
I washed my yeast from an American Cream Ale that I used Yeast No. 1056 (American Ale).

Can I use this yeast for an IPA?

Is there a document somewhere that tells me which yeast can or can not be used for certain types of beers?

Thanks

Here is what wyeast suggests for their yeasts. http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_styleguidelines.cfm

it's a good starting point but you don't have to feel confined to these guidelines. I make American ipa's with English yeasts all the time.

EDIT: forgot to answer your first question. Yes 1056 is an excellent choice, and very common for an ipa

Assuming you're making an American IPA, 1056 is a great choice IMO. As far as where to check for that, the Wyeast site has a section on that here.

Yes, that yeast will definitely work for an American style IPA. If you're looking for a more traditional English style IPA, you might want to consider an English ale (such as white labs London ale).

The White Labs website is a great source of info on their yeasts and what beers you might use them in. I suspect Wyeast has similar information on their site.

Back