WTF does Pacman smell like?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suicided1954

Reaction score
I gave it one more shot at bottle harvesting this yeast. I started with a bottle of Shakespeare Stout. The wife drank it. I tasted it but I'm not a fan of the super dark beers.

well I was huffing on the starter i made with the yeast and I think it stinks. The last one smelled like this also. I can't place the smell but it is not beer...

is this normal for this strain?

the wife says it tastes like it smells...

You know, I always think I've heard all the questions there are to ask, but then one like this surprises me. ;)

What's more suprising is I went over to my yeast fridge and smelled my yeast sample of Pacman.

It smells like yeast. Not bad. Not anything except yeasty. Now, that's not a bottle cultured one, that is a purchased and washed yeast sample. But still, it shouldn't smell bad.

Does that help?

I have smelled my starters and tasted them... always taste my hydrometer samples. This was plain nasty smelling and tasting. I thought it smelled wrong. Thanks for the vote for normalcy Yooper.

The Pacman yeast is most likely dead (in the bottle) and you're smelling some wild yeast and/or bacteria growth.

So far, my attempts to harvest Pacman yeast have been unsuccessful. The Rogue bottles available here are just too old and/or stored too warm to harvest yeast from. I'll probably just purchase a pure culture soon.

well both of my attempts came from bottles that were not in cold storage. no telling how long they were on the shelf. Yeah my LHBS has pacman... I had to give it another try....

I have 2 IIPA's on deck and I have a 5 gallon starter of 1056...hehe

for the record all of "my science experiments" have failed lately... my agar slants liquify hours after removing from the fridge... I think i'll concentrate on perfecting that before I return to bottle harvesting.

This doesn't have to do with smell, but i thought you might like to know(if you don't already). You can get Rogue's Pacman strain from Wyeast January thru March of this year. I can definitely appreciate the desire to harvest it yourself, but you can also buy it if you like...

Got a starter that's been spinning for a week that was cultured from a Yellow Snow bottle. Smells like... yeast (VICTORY!)

Making a starter from a Wyeast 1764 Smackpack I noticed Pacman had a "cidery" smell with a hint of ammonia for the first day. Then it was fine after that.

Back