Kegerator Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrooklynBrew

Reaction score
I went to Home Depot got everything I needed and converted my Danby Compact Fridge to a Kegerator. What you think?

dec2009001.jpg

dec2009002.jpg

dec2009005.jpg

dec2009010.jpg

Yeah to fit two kegs im going to have to remove the plastic on the inside of the door and replace it with a piece of plexiglass or something. Thanks

Yeah to fit two kegs im going to have to remove the plastic on the inside of the door and replace it with a piece of plexiglass or something. Thanks

Get that liner off there then! :) Some people just use black tape to cover the exposed foam from the liner and it looks fine for as much as it's seen.

I literally just finished replacing the door on my Kenmore minifridge. I went to home depot and got a 4x4 sheet of 1/8" hard board. They gave me the two cuts to get it down to what was supposed to be 19 3/4 x 30 5/8. Total cost was $7.50 canadian. I plan to paint it either white or maybe paint it with that chalk board paint.

I placed the old fridge door cover ontop of the piece of hardboard and screwed them together with the old holes. Took out all the screws, put the weather stripping on the hardboard and screwed it onto the fridge door. Almost all the holes lined up. My impact took care of making new holes for the few old holes I missed.

Plexi was going to cost in excess of $40. I would have used a piece of counter top material but they only sold that in 4x8 sheets and it was close to $100 / sheet. They also had actual fridge siding there in 4/8 sheets but it was around $50 / sheet. I didn't want the rough fridge texture on the inside incase I paint it with chalk board paint.

I didn't want the rough fridge texture on the inside incase I paint it with chalk board paint.

A bit off topic, but even if you paint a textured fridge surface with chalkboard paint, it still comes out relatively smooth. I did 3 coats on the outside of my kegerator and you can barely notice any texture.

I have the exact same fridge, It holds two kegs and CO2 on the hump fine. For the door I recommend from Home Depot a sheet of the white melamine dry erase board. I tried the plexiglasss and it was horrible. Never could get the seal to take just right, the plexiglass chipped and was harder to work with. The whole 8 foot sheet of mealamine is like $13. Just have them cut it to your dimensions,. I made three door panels and had some extra for the house as well. Then you can write info inside the door about the beers (dates/abv/psi etc...)

Back