Irish Stout Ó Flannagáin Standard

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just made that beer 20 min ago. Tasted extremely good before I added the yeast, I am very please. Ended up with a 1.046 OG and 22L
I added 5gr of fuggle for 5 min to the Oz of Kent. Used Safale S-04 for yeast.
I think I will leave it in the primary for 25-30 days and Keg to force carb. I always leave my beer (blonde IPA) that long in the primary and get great results.
I must say it's my first Stout, is it a beer that age well before kegging ?
My friend is a very impulsive brewer and always keg within 15 days. His brew always taste like crap, At least to my taste, so I tend to leave mine undisturbed for ever.
Stout_zps574bbbc5.jpg

I am going to brew this next weekend by my local home brew shop only has roasted barley 595 ( instead of 300) and chocolate malt 450 ( instead of 350). Will this change change the flavor adversly or just color?
Thanks, t

I am going to brew this next weekend by my local home brew shop only has roasted barley 595 ( instead of 300) and chocolate malt 450 ( instead of 350). Will this change change the flavor adversly or just color?
Thanks, t

It's what I used. People who tend to like quaffers love it. Like lighter drinkers. Even BMC found this beer enjoyable.

Cool, so you used the higher L roasts and it still turned out good? Btw, what is BMC?

T

3 weeks later here we are. I couldn't wait any longer. My GF love this beer, caught her with a glass this morning before she had her coffee :drunk:

Weather screwed up my fermentation, I ended up fermenting at high temp for the first 2 weeks (70-74f). I will have to make it again definitely.

I was expecting a strong Coffee moka expresso taste, but it's not the case. It's a very mild Stout almost like a pale super smooth blonde,but with a mild stout character and aftertaste with a hint of fruit.

I guess I screwed with fermentation temps that why it's not very tasty. On the other hand. It's the perfect stout to introduce beginners to dark beer, and My girlfriend can't get enough. It will not last long on the tap :mug:

During the first month after bottling, I wasn't a big fan of this beer, it was too harsh and bitter, (lack of caramel malt, and 40 IBU's), but damn, just as if it was magic, after a month passed, this beer turned into a delightful, creamy, but light flavored stout. I can't get enough, and it seems like I will keep it around all the time. This is pretty quaffable to me, but non stout drinkers might not want more than one in a sitting.

I never brew a beer twice. There is so much recipes to try that brewing it twice feel to me like a waiste.
Never say never... This stout is soo good that I had to brew it twice. Recipe was slightly modified but it is that good.

6 lbs 8.0 oz Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 60.5 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 2 11.6 %
1 lbs 4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 3 11.6 %
1 lbs Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 4 9.3 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5 7.0 %
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 6 14.6 IBUs
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 15.0 min Hop 7 1.8 IBUs
0.25 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 8 0.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) [23.66 ml]
Mash at 152f 75min
OG 1.058

My GF can't get enough of this beer, she was a guiness lover but don't like it anymore cuz of Mr. Flannagain.
This beer age well, flavors are always improving as time pass.

Volks, is there a reason that you chose to use fuggles? Did you make this with EKG, and if so, which do you prefer.

Brewed this late Friday night and pitched hydrated Nottingham Saturday morning. No sign of activity Saturday evening at bedtime, Sunday morning I was greated with this

vsN1DOz.jpg

Ó Flannagáin;401729 said:
6.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 64.86 %
1.00 lb Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
1.00 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain 10.81 %
0.75 lb Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 8.11 %
0.50 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 5.41 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] (60 min) Hops 17.2 IBU

NOTES: Absolutely delcious. The new house stout around here. It is smooth, creamy, malty and a nice hit of chocolate. The Roasted is barely noticable through the intense cream. The aroma is powerful and malty. Perfect bitterness. This beer is great!

[EDITED] Any thoughts about trying 154F mash temp with Wyeast 1056, or would that result in a thin bodied stout?

Bottled this tonight. Smells incredible. Absolutely incredible. Brewed it for the wifey to help get her on board with the home brew hobby and was lucky having her helping me bottle it. She was disappointed that it won't be ready to drink for a while. I scaled it down to 1 gal and even over did it volume wise. Unfortunately had to dump (kills me to admit it) 2q. But still....if it ages well, this is going to be incredible. I don't even like stouts but I'm chomping at the bit to get at this one.

Brewing this as i type!! got the mash in, and already looking forward to drinkin this hopefully around christmas time or a lil earlier haha. Saw the recipe and thought it sounded like a nice dry stout and then once i saw a pic of it i knew i had to brew it!! really looking forward to this one and hope it turns out as well as others say it has for them!

Is this a dry or a sweet stout? The IBUs are very low?

Its a dry stout, you can tell by several methods, first, in that it contains no crystal malts, nor other low fermentable sugars (lactose, maltodextrin, etc). Second, its mashed at a lower temperature; usually, but not always, drier stouts are mashed lower in order to make the beer thinner, more sessionable, and obviously, drier.

Third, look at the ratio of IBU's to original gravity. In this case it is 37% (17.2 / 46), which is in line for a dry stout, which normally ranges from 30-50%, sweet stouts tend to have a higher ratio (50-70%).

Second, its mashed at a lower temperature; usually, but not always, drier stouts are mashed lower in order to make the beer thinner, more sessionable, and obviously, drier.
Doesnt the OP say he mashes at 156~157 in post number 3? Certainly not a low mash temp? I would have expected this high mash temp along with the low IBUs to give a sweeter less dry finish?

@Layerup, I notice you brewed this with 40IBUs ? How was that? Thats more what I'd expect from a dry stout

Bottled this up last night, this brew taste pretty dang good already i cant wait to try it once its bottle conditioned. I used Maris Otter instead of 2row. it has i nice roasted flavor to it. I think im gonna brew this again and maybe increase my base grain by about a pound and maybe add some flaked oats to it. Im wanting a lil bit thicker mouthfeel and a lil bit more alcohol.

Doesnt the OP say he mashes at 156~157 in post number 3? Certainly not a low mash temp? I would have expected this high mash temp along with the low IBUs to give a sweeter less dry finish?

@Layerup, I notice you brewed this with 40IBUs ? How was that? Thats more what I'd expect from a dry stout

Yep, you're right, he does say 156, I missed it, and I brewed it at 151 when I made.

The 40 ibu (tinseth) batch that I made many months ago was quite fantastic, although I did cut it with a rather hefty batch of oatmeal (2 pounds). Additionally, I believe I upped my 2-row to 9 pounds because it was one of my first beers, and I was afraid of low efficiency, which I never really seemed to have trouble with. But if I were to brew this again, 40 would definitely be my starting point to work from.

mdbrewer1 said:
I've never re-used yeast before, but I have a Centennial Blonde that will be finished in a couple days. I used Nottingham for that and I've seen a couple posts where people used it for this recipe. I did a search in the yeast forum and it looks like it is as simple as pouring the cooled stout wort on top of a portion of the yeast cake. Is it as simple as that? Is Nottingham a good choice for this brew? Has anyone used both Notty and a different yeast and have any feedback on how each turned out? Thanks!!

I typically rack off as much beer as I can get and than swirl the carboy to mix up the yeast - pour this into a sanitized mason jar and let settle for a bit than decant a little and pitch the slurry according the the mr malty calculator.

I cant really say whether overpitching is actually an issue on the homebrew scale or not but I would say a whole yeast cake on a low gravity beer like this is excessive.

I typically rack off as much beer as I can get and than swirl the carboy to mix up the yeast - pour this into a sanitized mason jar and let settle for a bit than decant a little and pitch the slurry according the the mr malty calculator.

I cant really say whether overpitching is actually an issue on the homebrew scale or not but I would say a whole yeast cake on a low gravity beer like this is excessive.

Thank you very much for the reply. My homebrew equipment had been in storage during my move, but hopefully I'll be able to try this out soon!

ok so i now only have 2 bottles of this left. so i went and got the ingredients to do this one again!! i loved the flavor of this stout but i did end up increasing my base grain (marris otter) and i added a half pound of flaked oats. so hopefully this batch will end up with a little bit thicker mouthfeel. plan on brewing it maybe newyears eve.

So, has anyone tasted the wort pre-boil on this one? I'm brewing up a batch right now, and my pre-boil gravity reading was at 1.028, Beersmith says my measured mash efficiency is about 66.4. Nothing to be too proud of or write home about, but it doesn't seem too bad, either. I think I'll try adding a bout 3/4lb of DME to bring it up near the end of the boil.

But what concerns me is the taste. Only the barest hint of sweetness, with a mostly dry taste... perhaps I didn't mash long enough? My initial temps were actually a little high - aound 158-160, but certainly not high enough to lock out the enzymes. I was able to bring it down to 156-7 after about ten minutes with about two quarts of hot water (rather pleased with how easuly I handled that, actually). I then mashed for another 45 minutes, tried to mash out but only got it up to about 160 and then fly sparged out. Didn't think it was a big deal, and I'll probably skip the mash out from now on anyway. No other real issues. Unfortunately, I didn't have any iodine to test, but this is only my third AG batch and the first time with this style. (last batch was EdWort's Hefe which looks like it turned out GREAT).

Hey guys, i have brewed this recipe twice with fairly good results. The flavor is awesome but the mouthfeel is very watery like. The second batch i did i used a half pound of flaked oats and it still came out with a watery mouthfeel!! I really like this beer other than the mouthfeel so i want to figure out a way to make this work all the way around. Anyone had a problem with this? Anyone have any suggestions on how to fix the mouthfeel? The only changes i made to the recipe is i subed marris otter for the 2row.

Hey all, this is definitely on my "to-brew" list but I'll have to bottle it since I don't have a kegging setup.

How much priming sugar would you use for a batch of this? 3oz or so? I assume you'd want a lighter carbonation.

Thanks!

I noticed many posters have been swapping out the recipe yeast with S-04. I have a much better access to S-04, will the taste be much different using this yeast as opposed to the liquid yeast included in the original recipe?

Made this using 1335 yeast and no chill method of cooling. Fermented for 10 days at 70 degrees F. Bottle conditioned 2 weeks. Nice full head, smooth as patent leather. Very drinkable, will make again.

Could I possibily use another hop? I have a pack of Hallertau Magnum here and I'll buy some Cascade this week. EKG and other English varieties like Fuggles are really way more expensive around here...

Brewed this up on january first as the recipe called, yeast started and all.Had gotten poor efficiency, and ended with a higher mash temp on accident. All in all after putting it on nitro it's not bad but it could be a bit less watery. i would make this again and try with a few more lbs of 2 row and maybe a pound of flaked oats.

Looks like a good dry stout. With the comments on thin body, what would you all think about upping the flaked barley?

This became the best dry stout I have ever brewed! Even some of my friends who doesn't like stouts loved it. Will be brewing it again. Thanks for the recipe.

Brewed this up on january first as the recipe called, yeast started and all.Had gotten poor efficiency, and ended with a higher mash temp on accident. All in all after putting it on nitro it's not bad but it could be a bit less watery. i would make this again and try with a few more lbs of 2 row and maybe a pound of flaked oats.

I want to mention that the keg finally kicked about 2 or so weeks ago on this, and the last few glasses were outstanding. Next time I brew this, I’ll up a few ingredients slightly, but expect the keg to be set aside for at minimum 3 months before tapping. Good brew for sure!

I've got a half-batch of this mashing right now. This will be my first batch of beer ever (yes, my first batch of beer is an all-grain stout). I'm using the BIAB method, and it seems to be going quite well. Looks a lot like the pictures of all-grain stout mashing that I've seen, anyway.

If you are still around, how did this work for you? I plan on doing a 3 Gallon BIAB batch this weekend and would appreciate any advice. Also my first batch of any beer ever. BTW I'm just down the hill in Canyon Country.

Latest posts

Back