Banjo Burner Problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bambrew

Reaction score
Just bought a banjo burner with stand but without regulator. I hooked up my 30 psi regulator I had bought from bayou classic a while back and when I light it its a big wimpy orange flame, not the strong blue flame I am looking for. The air adjustment doesn't seem to change the flame much at all. Any ideas?

I sometimes have problem with my regulator similar to the one you describe. I turn off the main propane valve. Close the needle valve on the regulator. Then I open the main propane valve slowly, once it is open then I slowly turn the needle valve open and start the flame. It seems like if you hit it all at once there must be some safety that engages and limits flow.

Best wishes.

Exactly...It isn't the regulator, it is the newer, (we don't want you to blow yourself up) propane bottles. Do what Theis said and you should have no issues.

Happened to me on my first brew with the burner too. After getting frustrated and giving up, I tried again the next day and it has worked perfectly since.

Thanks for the info. Pardon my ignorance, but can anyone tell me what size threads the orifice has on a banjo burner. I bought my burner from a flea market and I'm not sure if its an actual banjo burner. On mine, the threads for the orifice are a bigger size than the standard turkey fryer type burners. I have ordered a 5235 orifice off of the bayou website but I'm worried it might not fit.

Theis said:
I sometimes have problem with my regulator similar to the one you describe. I turn off the main propane valve. Close the needle valve on the regulator. Then I open the main propane valve slowly, once it is open then I slowly turn the needle valve open and start the flame. It seems like if you hit it all at once there must be some safety that engages and limits flow.

Best wishes.

A belated thank you for this response. I had the same thing happen while brewing last night - could not get a big flame, and opening the regulator wide open had no effect. I did a search on my smart phone while brewing in the garage and found this answer.
I tried those steps and was off and boiling in no time. HBT win (again).

Back