BIAB brew stand with hoist and pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too am eagerly awaiting the first brew report! This design has so much potential. All in one BIAB with a small footprint. It looks like something that could be fabricated for a reasonable price. There's a guy on the Aussie Homebrewer site that is doing something similar but it doesn't look nearly as sturdy.
http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=43286

On Tap: Silly Walk ESB; Amarillo Brillo Pale Ale

On Deck: DFH Punkin Clone

Hey Fortydegnorth,

I have attempted something similar with a aluminum kettle and the inserted basket. The problem I found, on a 10 gal BIAB setup, is that the weight and the handle are incompatible. When raising the basket, the handle pulls the sides in. This was with only about 20 lbs of grain. I'm curious how a fully loaded basket like yours will work with the weight of the grain and water. Have you tried a dead pull yet? Toss a number of weights into it, to simulate grain and water, and pull it up with your winch?

A cross beam handle would evenly distribute the weight. The rest of the rig is gorgeous. My next brewery build, I would like to incorporate some of your ideas. Very well done.

Curious as to which pot/ steamer basket you are using? I was going to attempt to build this with pot and steamer

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R-202038911/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&keyword=turkey+fryer&storeId=10051#.UCwqtqBlN8E

I'm sure that would work. Op used a bayou classic. I would try and flex the basket before I bought it. You'd have a good idea if strength that way.

I'm getting closer to brewing again. Kegs are empty and the weather is cooling off finally. I'm trying to finish another project, a sand rail build, before brewing. So many projects with so little time. Thanks for all the comments. Full brewing report soon I hope.

As far as the sides of the basket pulling in with weight, the bayou classic pots are more than strong enough. To test the tipping capacity I stacked over 40# of weight into the basket, hanging from the handle, and it didn't move at all. The trick is a heavy stainless basket with a rolled upper lip for strength. Aluminum is probably fine too if it's thick enough with a reinforced lip.

I think my 10 gal bayou classic pot would have been fine if I hadn't tried to modify it, which required removing the handle, and it got a bit of a kink in the rolled lip. The handle also got trimmed a little, which might account for the pulling in more than their stock design. Glad to hear it has held up for you with such a larger version. I have built a 3 tier and use BIAB with a set of pipes in a tripod configuration (and a chain puller), but eventually want to combine the two... And by that I mean a single unit, where I can do standard 3 keggle all grain brew and/or with a arm and winch attachment to do BIAB's. Since seeing this, I even contemplated having that piece be removable and standalone, as needed. :)

Speedoguy,
I had the bayou classic 40 quart. Very similar to that picture, but as it was pointed out, I removed the handle and put it back after adding a cloth bag, and put a little damage on the rolled lip, not to mention the handle got shortened. So, I probably caused my own problem. I might just have to replace the inner steamer basket. I will say that the 10 gal is just enough to do a 5 gal batch of a 1.075 beer. Your 80 quart should be good for a 10 gal batch.

Speedoguy,
I had the bayou classic 40 quart. Very similar to that picture, but as it was pointed out, I removed the handle and put it back after adding a cloth bag, and put a little damage on the rolled lip, not to mention the handle got shortened. So, I probably caused my own problem. I might just have to replace the inner steamer basket. I will say that the 10 gal is just enough to do a 5 gal batch of a 1.075 beer. Your 80 quart should be good for a 10 gal batch.

I purchased the brinkman 80 qt pot, I just loaded it with 2 20lbs dumb dumb bells, it didnt flex at all when I lifted it :rockin:

I'm in the process of building my weldless version of this stand, everything has gone pretty smooth so far, now I'm getting to the part that I have been fearing, building the hoist. I might end up having to find someone to weld one for me

just wanted to show where I am at with my build of this, I wanted to try and build this stand with as little welding as possible, mainly because I dig the old school look of nuts and bolts.

it started out as a shop table

after a little cutting and drilling, this is where I'm at today. a friend of mine is putting finishing touches on the hoist, and the burner is on the way.

ForumRunner_20120910_101011.jpg

ForumRunner_20120910_101042.jpg

ForumRunner_20120910_101313.jpg

ForumRunner_20120910_101716.jpg

ForumRunner_20120910_101739.jpg

I have been looking all around for a good example of a BIAB stand I'm trying to build to show to the girlfriend. She is not mechanically inclined...so the more pretty pictures the better. I appreciate your work and thank you for the inspiration.

Hello Lads, I've been following this thread for a few months now. I'm also looking for a way to have a smaller foot print and I have a similar design in my head. I want chillers and pumps mounted to the stand and I want everything either in the bottom area, hanging from the stand or stored inside the kettle on top of the stand. I also want my propane tank mounted to the stand or on a smaller dolly with wheels so I can just roll it. I'm going to visit a welder tomorrow and tell him what I want and just go for it. I'll either use a boat winch or an electric winch mounted to the ceiling. The main problem with ceiling mount are my garage doors get in the way and of course that's a problem when they are open for ventillation. However, I do have windows in my garage.

Do either of you have any updates?

Hello Lads, I've been following this thread for a few months now. I'm also looking for a way to have a smaller foot print and I have a similar design in my head. I want chillers and pumps mounted to the stand and I want everything either in the bottom area, hanging from the stand or stored inside the kettle on top of the stand. I also want my propane tank mounted to the stand or on a smaller dolly with wheels so I can just roll it. I'm going to visit a welder tomorrow and tell him what I want and just go for it. I'll either use a boat winch or an electric winch mounted to the ceiling. The main problem with ceiling mount are my garage doors get in the way and of course that's a problem when they are open for ventillation. However, I do have windows in my garage.

Do either of you have any updates?

I finished fabrication and tore is back down to paint it, trying to decide what color to go with, I have some rustoleum high temp ultra black laying around, probably going to spray it and put it back together in the next few days. I'm also started converting a fridge I have laying around into a ferm chamber for a conical I have on order. lots going on, I cant wait to actually brew a beer, I'm a complete noob, never even brewed an extract :off:

got it painted and reassembled, just waiting on a exchange plate chiller from dudadiesel. really want to use camlock instead of barb fiitings on the plate chiller. I will probably re-design the hoist later, but it wil get the job done for a while

painted stand 1.jpg

painted stand 2.jpg

painted stand 3.jpg

If I had read this 8 months ago, I would have tried to make an electric/gas hybrid version instead of what I built.

Do the larger pots have the same circumference? I find myself wondering about using the small size basket with a much larger pot, to make room for an element and dip tube stuff underneath (for use when you want to brew indoors w/ electricity. I guess that space would be extra liquid not directly helping your mash though....hmm

I was just thinking about e-build regrets and the #1 for me is I cant brew away from my 220v 30a gfci outlet. Being able to use the same equipment to brew at a friend's house would be great. (but then I would have to buy a pickup truck...) :) How much does just your stand weigh (stand/pump/burner/winch/crane)? Does the crane separate? Can you toss it in your pickup?

Subscribed because this might be my brewing setup when I am 60.

last fittings just arrived, between back orders and super storm sandy It took about a month to gt them all, but It was worth the wait, brew hardware sells some great stuff!

here she is, all done

brew1.jpg

brew4.jpg

brew2.jpg

brew3.jpg

should be brewing my first batch ever tomorrow, cant wait!:rockin:

Give us some brew feedback after you use it. I'll have to read this thread again to see what you are using for heat. Thanks for posting the update.

Speedoguy,

It looks like you have your plate chiller set up wrong.

Your wort input and cold water input are on the same side/going in the same direction.

The hot wort and cold water and supposed to go in opposite directions.

I could be worng, certainly not the first time.

Nice build BTW.

Chris

I have a 40-plate chiller and my wort in and water out are next to each other and looking at his garden hose connectors, it appears his are correct. His top left is wort out and the connector next to it looks like the water in which would be correct. I posted a close-up of mine. His appears to be a duda diesel and mine is a keg cowboy model.

DSC_0098.jpg

brewed with my stand last night, It was my first brew ever, so I expected some hiccups, Made some mistakes on my end and way overshot my og, but the stand itself performed great, cleanup was a snap, very pleased with this stand overall!

overshot your OG with a no sparge system...now that's impressive! Did you adjust your recipe for no sparge?

I thought i did, my target og was 1.057. I ended up with 1.073, so yeah, off by a mile!!! no biggie, I expected to have some issues my first few batches!

I've had a few requests for stand dimensions, so here they are. keep in mind these dimensions should change based on your pot size, and how high you want the top of your pot, I wanted the top of my pot to be a little higher than my belly button, that way I wouldnt be bending over to much and I would still have plenty of room to see in the pot at any point in time without a stand

actualstanddimensions.jpg

@fortydegnorth

Have you brewed with yours yet? I have brewed 3 batches with mine so far, I must say, its great, its a fast brew day, and easy to clean, my efficiency seems to be right around 75%, could be better, but i'm not complaining. Only problem I have is paint burning off, other than that its perfect for my needs, thanks for sharing your design, I was trying to figure out what style stand to build for a while, and once i saw yours it just made sense.

For anyone that cares, the Little Giant pump is absolutely amazing. I had two March 809 pumps before and they are about 3 times as loud, 10 times harder to prime and pump about half of what the Little Giant will do. I was shocked that it sucked the test water right out of the pot with hardly any noise. It primed instantly. I will only run this about 1/4 of it's potential and it's way overkill for my needs. I picked it up for the same price as a new March. Great little pump.

Fortydegnorth - what model little giant is that?

I actually have not brewed with this yet. I know that sounds crazy but I got married last year and between that, work, money and other hobbies I just haven't started again. I do have a fermentation chamber built and ready. My wife suggested we brew this weekend. I own a landscaping business and it's supposed to snow tonight. If I'm plowing all day I doubt I'll be brewing Saturday. I plan to very soon though. Lots of grain in stock and a $50 gift card from the LHBS.

The pump is a Little Giant. Seems to be a great pump for the little testing I've done so far. Thanks for all the comments and the other builds look awesome. I love sharing ideas and building on other peoples visions. Brew updates to come once I get my butt in gear.

Finally going to brew with the BIAB stand. I have the yeast on the stir plate and the grain is ground and ready. I hope to brew tomorrow. Spent last night and most of today cleaning kegs, fermenters, and beer lines on the kegerator. When you haven't brewed in 10 months things get dirty. I'll take some pics tomorrow during the process and post how it goes.

Brewed a batch of IPA on the new stand. Worked awesome! It was by far the easiest brewing I've done compared to the single tier 3 kettle Brutus system. I did 10 gallons of IPA. I first changed my Barley Crusher's gap for a tight crush. I'd have to get the feeler gauges out and measure it but it was really fine. I did end up with a lot of sediment going into the fermenter but I think it'll clear in a couple weeks. I had quite a few hops in this batch and it might have been from them. I started with about 13 gallons, 60 min mash with a 15 min mash out. I raised the basket up and let it drain and then smashed the grain with a round biscuit pan until it wasn't draining anymore. Once the grain was draining the heat was on to start the boil. I ended up with a little over 11.5 gallons for the start of the boil. Boiled 60 min and nailed the reciped OG of 1.064. It was right on the line in the refractometer which netted me 75% efficiency. That's about what I was getting with the Brutus and fly sparging. Post boil got me 10 gallons into the fermenter. Cleanup was awesome. Grabbed the basket and dumped it in the side yard for the animals, dumped the hop bag and hosed everything out. It was nice only having one pump and one pot to clean. Overall I was very impressed with how easy it was and how much I didn't have to mess with it during the process.

The crush, dough in, mash, drain and smash out the wort:

brewing 1.JPG

brewing 2.JPG

brewing 3.JPG

brewing 4.JPG

brewing 5.JPG

Back