First all grain in the fermentor :)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tschmitt

Reaction score
Longer brew day but just as enjoyable (or more so). Learned to reread the stickies before beginning as I undershot strike temp due to heating the mashtun--got that one fixed for next time will overheat strike water and dump in mashtun then mash in when temp drops to hit what I need.

Ice bath worked well (only 3 gallon batch) and dropped temp to 65 in about 25 minutes. Will be building immersion chiller as ice bath is a pain to do and I have to do it outside.

Beginning gravity 1052. Let's go!:) :)

Nice work. Yea I did the same thing with my cooler to preheat. I would go about 10 over strike and let it drop to temp.

depending on how your setup is (if you have a ball valve on your brew kettle) i would say look into a plate chiller or counterflow chiller. Some of the smaller variations can be had for about the same cost, or slightly more, than a reliable immersion chiller.

my immersion chiller used to take 40+ minutes to chill a 5 gallon batch to 75ish degrees. and it would flood my back yard

My therminator plate chiller will cool my wort about as fast as it'll drain from my kettle. (today i chilled a 5 gallon batch from boiling temperature to 58 degrees in 5-6 minutes)

however if you are brewing in your kitchen then maybe an immersion chiller flowing into the sink isn't that big of a deal to wait for it to cool

Do you just siphon thru the chiller?Plate chillers are hard to clean? For 5 gallon batches what size? I can make immersion chiller for about 30 35 bucks it looks like. Small plate runs?

When I checked the tun about half way I was at 146. I did the calc on beersmith and drained some wort and heated it and dumped it back in that got it back to 150 but wanted 152.

Should I have stirred that hot water in?

I did not want to upset grain bed so I did not.

I have 10 gallon tun and used for 3 gallon batch(I don't have brew pot capacity yet). At face value is this OK as long as I give a good preheat?

you let gravity do your siphoning for a plate chiller... you run a connection from you kettle, into the chiller, then out to the fermentor. mean while a garden hose runs in the opposite direction through alternating plates. So instead of a small copper coil touching a lot of hot wort ( a lot of heat and little cooling) you are contacting a little wort at a time with a lot of cool water.

if you are making and immersion chiller it will certainly be the most economic route, but you can get a small (20-30 plate) chiller for around $50+ but then need to buy the fittings so it would cost you a little more than just the plate chiller.

you can't see into the plate chiller so you have to be on top of your sanitization game. i soak mine in pbw for about 20 minutes, then flush thoroughly with water multiple times, then soak in star-san for about 5 minutes and let everything drip out. normally the first couple ounces that come out of my plate chiller are the residual star-san and i just drop that into a cup before putting it all into my fermentor, but that little amount of starsan inside of it wouldnt hurt anything.

My therminator plate chiller will cool my wort about as fast as it'll drain from my kettle. (today i chilled a 5 gallon batch from boiling temperature to 58 degrees in 5-6 minutes)

Do you recirculate or do one pass through?

I probably recirculated close to a gallon. I then immediately drained again, I think I was supposed to let the grains settle for 10 minutes or so before draining. I also interpreted beersmith wrong. I added like a half gallon and recirculated and drained right away. Then did the same thing with about 2 gallons. I did not realize the first 1/2 gallon was simply to balance my water volume so I had two equal drains. Should I have dropped the hot water, stirred and then let the grains settle for 10 minutes or so?

[QUOTE="ArcticBear"

my immersion chiller used to take 40+ minutes to chill a 5 gallon batch to 75ish degrees. and it would flood my back yard

cool[/QUOTE]

40 mins? I use a 50ft immersion chiller and it usually takes 15-20 mins to get down to 65. Strange that it took yours so long.

Latest posts

Back