Score!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newguy

Reaction score
Well I'm complete! Got my MLT parts and cooler and scored this off a good friend today!

So all I need is some advice and tips on cutting this keg. What do I need to know?
Any and all help is much appreciated!

Cheers,

P.S. all I have to give for the keg is a 5 gallon batch!!! Sweet:ban:

My local HBS, Beer Nut, told me about a shop close by that will cut and clean a keg for $25. To me, that sounds like a deal to not have to worry about it. Something to think about.....if you're not very handy like myself

I just want to add that to the best of my knowledge I got this keg legally. I got it from a friend who used to work at a brewery. He had one he wasn't using and wanted some home brew! :)

I saw the videos that Yuri did with the plasma torch. Is that who you were referring to Scubba? I didn't fine one for BobbyM.

Yeah I think I might check around locally see if I can find someone with a plasma torch. I really like the nice cut on that.

I just cut my first keg today using a 4.5" grinder and cutting wheels. I don't consider myself particularly handy, but I do have a fairly steady hand. My step-father, who is quite handy said the one I cut looks better than the one that I bought off Craig's List pre-cut (apparently by plasma cutter).

The point of this is that it's easier to cut one of these than I ever would have imagined.

This site is invaluable: http://home.insightbb.com/~benschoep/keg/sankey.htm

Take note however, my step-father and I got 4.5" wheels because he had a 4.5" grinder which I smoked out during the cut. He was totally pissed (not at me at the manufacturer) b/c it was brand spanking new.

I went back to Harbor Frieght and got another of their Chicago house brand 4.5" grinders for something like $30. If I had done this project from the get go, I would have gotten the 4" grinder for $20, but since I already had cutting wheels . . .

I spent longer cutting and grinding to clean up the cut with the HF Chicago grinder and felt like the Kawasaki one I burnt out must have been an abberation.

Anyway, just do it. Use the outer rim as a guide and you'll make a perfect cut.

Don't forget:

1) wear eye, hand and ear protection as well as long sleeves and pants.
2) after removing the sankey stem, fill the keg about half full of water to dampen the vibrations.

Evets said:
Be sure to depress the ball first to relieve any pressure that make be inside.

Be sure to press the ball valve with the keg on it's side said the guy who still smells like vinegar...

ok I found a guy locally that will plasma cut the keg for me for $10.00 :) So I just want to make sure of something. I just need to depress the ball valve and release pressure and he can start cutting right?

I don't need to remove the ball valve or anything first?

Also another question-Whats a good distance from the edge of the keg to cut? I was just figuring that I could tie a piece of string around the ball valve and the other end to a sharpie and go around. Giving me a perfect circle. I'm just wondering whats a good diameter to cut?

Thanks again!

well that was much easier than expected!! 5 min later I has a good clean cut and no worries! Now shes ready for her maiden voyage for the first boil!!

Thanks again to everyone who helped with advice along the way! I plan to drill a 7/8" hole next weekend for a weld-less ball valve kit I plan to make. :)

Cheers,

Back