Homemade fermenter thermowell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thern001

Reaction score
I have just finished making a homemade thermowell for my plastic fermenter basically I used the things listed below.

1.Rubber gommet 1 1/8 x 5/8 $1.04
2.1/2" x 8" stubout(pic below-the copper tube) $4.82
3.Thermometer w/submersible $6.29

Basically I opened a round hole a little wider than the stubout then placed the grommet in it, then placed the stubout in it and then the thermometer probe.

stubout.jpg

IMG_6389.jpg

IMG_6390.jpg

IMG_6391.jpg

Copper is fine. Just make sure its clean. Yeast needs a tiny bit of copper anyways.

quoted from http://***********/component/resour...November 2007/1149-metallurgy-for-homebrewers
"Copper is a double-edged sword in brewing. It is beneficial before fermentation, but detrimental afterwards. Copper ions react with the hydrogen sulfide produced during fermentation and reduce it to insoluble copper sulfide, which is left behind with the trub and yeast cake. Switching to all stainless steel brewing equipment can lead to noticeable quantities of hydrogen sulfide and sulfur off-flavors and aromas in the beer. The use of copper wort chillers will provide all the copper necessary, as will including a short piece (1 inch) of copper tubing in the boil.

Copper is a problem post-fermentation because it catalyzes staling reactions, including the production of hydrogen peroxide and can oxidize the alcohols to aldehydes. Finished beer should not be stored in contact with copper, although serving beer with copper tubing in a jockey box should not be a problem, because of the short contact time immediately before serving. "

Yeah I just read that too. I was looking online and I couldnt find any ss tubing that looks the same so I was thiking of those flexible PVC tubing like the one used for transferring the beer. And since is not closed ended I'll just make another hole on the other end of the lid and make it like a u shape. Now I know that PVC is not good for the hot situations like when you are doing the mash but do you guys know if it's good for inside the fermenter

quoted from http://***********/component/resour...November 2007/1149-metallurgy-for-homebrewers
"Copper is a double-edged sword in brewing. It is beneficial before fermentation, but detrimental afterwards. Copper ions react with the hydrogen sulfide produced during fermentation and reduce it to insoluble copper sulfide, which is left behind with the trub and yeast cake. Switching to all stainless steel brewing equipment can lead to noticeable quantities of hydrogen sulfide and sulfur off-flavors and aromas in the beer. The use of copper wort chillers will provide all the copper necessary, as will including a short piece (1 inch) of copper tubing in the boil.

Copper is a problem post-fermentation because it catalyzes staling reactions, including the production of hydrogen peroxide and can oxidize the alcohols to aldehydes. Finished beer should not be stored in contact with copper, although serving beer with copper tubing in a jockey box should not be a problem, because of the short contact time immediately before serving. "

Thank you!

Yeah I just read that too. I was looking online and I couldnt find any ss tubing that looks the same so I was thiking of those flexible PVC tubing like the one used for transferring the beer. And since is not closed ended I'll just make another hole on the other end of the lid and make it like a u shape. Now I know that PVC is not good for the hot situations like when you are doing the mash but do you guys know if it's good for inside the fermenter

I'm sure it wont be a problem with the beer but being a good insulater may not work so well as a thermwell.
As for the copper, it's already been posted so I wont go into that.

Just a thought, what if you tried something like "Fluidmaster Universal 20"L Stainless Steel Faucet Supply Line" listed at Lowes for about $7? These use to be more common before braided SS flexible supplies became more popular.

Crimp one end and attach the other via a compression fitting.

Back