What grain to get in Bulk ???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thedude00

Reaction score
Been thinking about buying some grain in bulk get some 55 pound bags of some different grains. What ones do you guys think i should look in to getting? Thank for the help fellas

It depends on what you're brewing. I make a lot of APAs and American IPAs, so I buy US two-row in bulk. I don't use much maris otter any more, but I used to buy that in bulk. I bought a sack of Castle (Belgian) pilsner malt, since I was planning on making some tripels, and I use pilsner malt more often than some. I also bought Vienna malt in bulk, but won't do that again as I ended up not using it very fast.

I seem to brew a lot of IPAs and APAs but my last couple brews been Stouts. Seem U.S 2 Row is all way safe to buy seems to be in everything I was also thinking about Crystal 40. Pilsner malt is a good idea too. I was going to sit down one night and think about what i want to brew for the next couple of months so can see what i will be using the most. Never brought in bulk before but seem to be the way to go to save a couple a bucks

It's gonna be different for different brewers... What do you brew the most of? What does the recipes you've brewed use the most of? For most folks it' s 2-row..but it could be pilsner, or Marris Otter. We can't really tell you. You have to look at what you brew the most of.

Where is the best place to buy is bulk more beer want 60 bucks for shipping so a 50 pound bag of 2 row is 105 buck not paying that

You should check on here, and at your local clubs to see if there's a group buy. We Michigan masher's do one on here every 6 months. The price ends up around 31 bucks/55 gallon sack.

If you are in NY you might be able to buy bags direct from Country Malt Group, although I believe they recently changed their policy about shipping to homebrewers.

+1 on Group Buys

Check the Group Buy Forum, you get killer deals on sacks otherwise you have to spend an arm and a leg either at LHBS or online. Seems like someone is always having one though.

If you are in NY you might be able to buy bags direct from Country Malt Group, although I believe they recently changed their policy about shipping to homebrewers.

That's why he has to get into an established group...older ones like ours are grandfathered in, but new ones, or hber's aren't supposed to be able to cut out the lhbs's anymore.

Where is the best place to buy is bulk more beer want 60 bucks for shipping so a 50 pound bag of 2 row is 105 buck not paying that

http://www.ritebrew.com

or

http://fiftypoundsack.com/

I bought my 50 lb bag of 2 row from ritebrew and my 55 lb bag of vienna from fifty pound sack. Out of all the research I've done they seem to be the cheapest. Ritebrew charges shipping but fifty lb sack doesnt. Im new to AG and have only made 2 bulk purchases so far. I plan on doing more purchases from both places.

I was just figuring this out myself when I was putting in my order for the South Jersey/Philly group buy (round 20!). I use Beersmith and added all of the recipes I'm planning to brew in the next few months to the shopping cart (from inside the recipe click the "add to cart" button) after adding all of the recipes to the cart I went and looked in the cart and it listed how much of each grain I needed (hops, yeast and other ingredients too). From that I figured out that I needed a sack of 2-row, a sack of pilsner malt, 1/3 of a sack of marris otter, 1/3 of Vienna, and 1/3 of smoked malt (in our group buy we split sacks for malts that you don't want 55 Lbs of but need 1/3 or 1/4 of that). It's going to be a busy few months!

yet another great feature of Beersmith!

I bought 2-Row Pale, Maris Otter, Pils, and Wheat in bulk. Regret buying the Wheat since I haven't brewed any wheats in a while.

I pretty much just use the MO for a particular Irish Red and 2-row for 90% of my beers.

I checked with my local homebrew club, and they are not interested in group buys. They told me SUPPORT LHBS! So, I took their advice, and last time I was at the LHBS, I checked their prices and I can get a 55# bag of Maris Otter for $69. That's $10 less than fiftypoundsack.com. And I'm supporting local.

I have been thinking about buying full sacks of Maris Otter, but waiting until I get a mill. What made you change, Yooper? Just curious.

Oh, I'll buy another, probably this fall!

I just have been making lots and lots of 10 gallon batches of IPAs and APAs, which use US 2-row with a touch of Munich or Vienna.

I use MO for all of my English style beers, and a few other styles. Sometimes it's not enough to use up a 55 pound sack quickly.

For the past 12 years I've been very lucky to be able to buy from a couple of brewpubs. Make friends with the brewer or the owner(both is better) and see what they'll do for you. I buy 25K sacks of Weyermann Munich 1 and Pilsner for $25, Maris Otter for $35 and 2-row pale for $30 so I keep these on hand. I also like to keep a sack of wheat malt.

Back