Do hops grow in West Central Florida on the Gulf of Mexico?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BankerJohn

Reaction score
I live near Crystal River and am interested in growing hops. Any idea if they will grow in the climate about 60 miles North of Tampa on the Gulf of Mexico?

I grew some Cascade last year. I am not sure if mine survived the fall and winter. I have not seen any signs of life yet this year. Maybe I'll go dig around tonight.

I am not that far from you, about an hour north.

My avatar is a picture of a Cascade from last year.

I grew some Cascade last year. I am not sure if mine survived the fall and winter. I have not seen any signs of life yet this year. Maybe I'll go dig around tonight.

I am not that far from you, about an hour north.

My avatar is a picture of a Cascade from last year.

@ Pick... cool, high springs isn't too far. We should brew together one day SOON!. Have your hops sprouted yet? Mine haven't been delivered yet :(

I just got my Centennial and Nugget in the mail today. I order based on disease resistance. Hopefully they do well- I'm an hour or so south of you both

Planted cascade and centennial about 4 weeks ago (maybe 3) in pots, they are both 4 feet high already. My HOA will probably nix my 10 foot tall lattice work.
I'm in southeast florida. Don't know how the flowers will turn out.

Just got a notice that RebelBrewer is shipping their rhizomes. I'm kinda miffed at their turn around time though... would have liked to have had them in the ground 2 weeks ago. I understand they are waiting on their supplier; would have been nice to receive mine on a Friday or Saturday rather than (my luck) on a Monday or Tuesday and have to wait 5 days till weekend to plant. grumble, grumble, grumble. [I sound like my Dad].

Hops do best between 34° and 50° latitude. Two things that may cause hop plants to struggle nearer to the equator.
1) The number of hours of sunlight during the summer months is less.
2) The lack of extended freezing temperatures in the winter.

This doesn't mean that you can't grow hops, just that the conditions are not ideal.

I've bought rhizomes from growers and from middle men. The middle men experience was always "less than" and I thought my plants were weaker than the plants I got direct. Something to consider if you ever buy more.

beerkrump,

I can assure you that we have no trouble growing photoperiodic plants anywhere in Florida, but, your point #2 - why does that matter?

Hops do best between 34° and 50° latitude. Two things that may cause hop plants to struggle nearer to the equator.
1) The number of hours of sunlight during the summer months is less.
2) The lack of extended freezing temperatures in the winter.

This doesn't mean that you can't grow hops, just that the conditions are not ideal.

Soil temperature triggers when the plant will go into dormancy in the fall and when it will awaken in the spring.

I didn't say hops would not grow. But, hops evolved to thrive in temperate zones and will not do as well in subtropical climates.

beerkrump said:
Soil temperature triggers when the plant will go into dormancy in the fall and when it will awaken in the spring.

I didn't say hops would not grow. But, hops evolved to thrive in temperate zones and will not do as well in subtropical climates.

I thought the absence if hops in low latitude sunny/humid regions had more to do with susceptibility to diseases and certain pests in hot and wet climates, not ability to thrive if healthy.

Ok so with all that said.....will Cascade grow in SE Florida (Vero Beach)??????
I would like to try and I know everydamnthingelse will grow here. Anybody down around this level in Fl. know if they will florish and produce buds???
I want to order quick. Cascade and something else, what do ya think?

So will they florish down around the Vero Beach level of SE Florida. Thats on the same level of Tampa but the other side of the state? I want Cascade and something else -- anybody know before I order???????

Planted cascade and centennial about 4 weeks ago (maybe 3) in pots, they are both 4 feet high already. My HOA will probably nix my 10 foot tall lattice work.
I'm in southeast florida. Don't know how the flowers will turn out.

screw the HOA

so I have rhizomes that are now about an inch tall. We'll see how well they grow over time.

proper watering is the hardest right now... it has been so dry. Planning to add to the sprinkler system with some drip heads to help out. They are about a 12 ft pipe run away from the garden that is on its own dedicated sprinkler zone.

Now if I can just keep the darn squirrels from nibbling on the rhizone shoots.

I have decided to name the Irish Red Ale that I make "Squirrel Blood Beer" in honor of the eradication of squirrels from my hop garden.

LOL, No squirrels have actually been harmed in the hop growing process. I have extra hop rhizomes planted to feed wildlife.

I am on my 2nd year of growing hops in pots in the Riverview area. The cascade came back nicely this year, but the centennial isn't doing very well. Both are in pots, watered the same, sitting right next to each other. Cascade just seems to do better.

I live on the northeast side of Orlando in the deep burbs. Both of my first year cascades are in 20" pots and are doing quite well. About chest high and moving quick. I chose Cascade because they are a favorite an seem to do well in this lower latitude from what I've seen. There is some guy around here, Keywestbrewing, he grows hops and has great yields. Not just Cascade.

image-2315225610.jpg

image-2784788560.jpg

image-782667698.jpg

Back