How and how long to cold crash for bottling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

velorider11

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on bottling a Hefeweisen 2 nights from now. I'd like to try cold crashing to clear it for bottling. After I move the car boy, how long does it need to sit to settle out. My garage will get down into the low 50's at night. Is that cold enough to cold crash? Also, what can I do to keep light from fouling the beer? Is wrapping a towel around the glass car boy enough? I realize cold crashing isn't probably necessary for a Hefe so these questions will also apply to my future brews that I would really want to be clear. Thanks

Are you going to store the bottles warm?

I would not cold crash.

Bottle and allow to condition warm (room temps or slightly colder) and then store the bottles in the fridge a few days before consumption.

You may not need to cold crash that style of beer. In my opinion, I like unfiltered wheat beer cloudy. Also like the previous poster said, just bottle and condition around 68-70 degrees or so for a couple weeks, and then stick them in the fridge for 48 hours and you will be set!

Back