nocarbonationfest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Eskram

Reaction score
I cracked one of my Oktoberfests... it's flat. :(

The lids seem to seal ok, and I added the same amount of corn sugar as I normally do, but yet they're flat.:confused: They've been in the bottle since 9/22, so they should have some carbonation by now. Tipping the bottle, down then up, it appears to have carbonation bubbles, but it's pretty much flat in when poured into a glass.

Any way to save this batch?

Add 3 or 4 grains of dry yeast to each bottle and re-cap.

How long did you lager it? Cold lagering can drop all the yeast out and prevent further fermentation even when primed. Without the yeast, your priming sugar is still there but nothing to convert it.

Well.. This was made before I had my lagering freezer, so I kept it in a tub of water/ice @ ~60F for about 3 weeks total. I was unable to keep the process going, and it sat at about 70 for another 2 weeks before I bottled it...

Thanks, I'll try the dry yeast thing.

My how time changes things..
I'm drinking one of the last few Oktoberfests I have left, and it's remarkably changed. It has a beautiful head, great carbonation and more importantly, a wonderful flavor. I like it better than Spaten.

I left the batch alone in my garage for a few weeks in hopes to carbonate more, then threw it in my lagering fridge until now. I think I'm going to have to learn to be more patient from now on and let them age.

did you let them carbonate at a higher temp before doing your 'lagering'. that might have been why they didnt carbonate. i had the same experience with my ordinary bitter. it just took a long time to carbonate. the last 6 or 7 i drank had decent carbonation. i underprimed that batch though to start with. now i can only complain about the off flavor my water gave it, not the low carbonation level.

Back