My first Beersmith Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jruffatto

Reaction score
Looking for critiques and suggestions, just giving an ingredient list for American IPA 2.5 gallon boil, 5 gallon yield

Steeping
1 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt 40L

Boil ingredients
6.6 lbs Pale liquid
1 lb Amber liquid

Hops
Cascade 1 oz 60 min
Centennial 1 oz 10 min
Simcoe 1 oz 5 min
Amarillo Gold 1 oz dry hop

Wyeast American ale yeast

Says it'll give me around 5.5% abv, 31.4 IBUs

what's your OG that you're shooting for? 31 IBUs is nowhere near an IPA in my mind. You're making a pale ale with that recipe.

Upped the hops, I'm at 51 IBUs...otherwise how does it look, extract and grain-wise? I know it's pretty basic

You're at the very bottom end of the IPA scale, but I'm sure that'll be ok. It'll make beer. Is there a reason you're using Amber LME and not just using all pale and getting your color and flavor from more steeping grain? I feel like this will come out too dark.

You're at the very bottom end of the IPA scale, but I'm sure that'll be ok. It'll make beer. Is there a reason you're using Amber LME and not just using all pale and getting your color and flavor from more steeping grain? I feel like this will come out too dark.

There is no reason...like I said, I'm looking for any kind of suggestions about what to change. Just tooling around with the Beersmith software I just got. I will take your suggestion though

I think there is an Oscar's IPA recipe in beersmith. Try that one and modify as you want. It was great when I did it.

Back