The Down Side of Homebrewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rjm

Reaction score
I got impatient, and popped my very first homebrew today at lunch. It has only been in the bottle for a week, but I couldn’t wait. Unfortunately it was so damn good that I can’t see how a store bought beer will ever cut it again. I can’t believe how good it was! The head was perfect, the colour was pleasing, the hops just right, and the taste… so good that I want another right now! The downside of home brewing is that I know now that this beer will not last the one month that I had planned to leave it in the bottles, so I will never know how good it could have been. Oh well, things could be worse. So much for the commercial brewers; I am definitely hooked on making my own.

This is why I think it's a good idea to go on a brewing spree, once you've got a couple batches under your belt and feel fairly comfortable with the process. By brewing several batches as clsoe together as your equipment inventory will allow, you build up a beer cellar. This allows you top have variety and to not feel the need (not as much anyway) to rush each batch and drink it before it's ready.

cweston said:
This is why I think it's a good idea to go on a brewing spree,

Can't disagree with that idea. I'm working on it... ;)

Dude said:
How's that LWPA coming along? Have you tried it yet?

:off:

I kegged it 04/11 but it was waiting in the wings to get on the CO2. It's been there I think about 5 days now but haven't given it a try yet.

I need to have 4 full kegs carbonated and ready for this party I got going May 20th with two being on tap. My intentions are to get two carbonated up and then pull them off storing back at room temperature. The day of the party I'll have two in the kegerator and two on ice chillin' and waiting its turn. The big question is if the offline kegs sufficiently hold carb levels if needed that night. Others here thought they should. Yours is going to be the guinea pig on this. I will put yours back in the fridge about 5 days before party without CO2 and give it a taste test for carb level after chilled. I'm curious on the loss if any.

I'll try the lwpa tonight. I thought a pale (yours) and the amer wheat would be on the first rotation that eve. Hardest part of this is trying not to drink "any" of the party brew :(.

Dude said:
How's that LWPA coming along? Have you tried it yet?

Ok, more :off: .

Tastes good dude! Smooth, going down. Nice aroma and a light bite as a Pale Ale should. It's still a bit new and hazy but that'll fix itself.

Must stop drinking it now and save for the party; disconnect the tap, disconnect the tap!!!

Let me get this straight.... You brewed beer..... and the problem is that you are drinking it all up and have to make more. Thats a problem? Next thing your gunna say is your getting way too much sex. :D

Seriously, once you get more batches in the 'pipeline' you won't have the problem of drinking it all up before its ready.

Everyone asks how much it costs to make a batch of beer. When I tell them they think it's really cheap. They don't realize how much more beer you drink when it's always on tap.:tank:

Back