My $20 Water Filter...Brew for less $

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LostDogBeer

Reaction score
Maybe someone will find this interesting...

I've been brewing for about 10 months and have probably done about 6-7 batches. I realized quickly that because my tap water tastes horrible that I would have to buy spring water from the grocery store at about $1 per gallon. Since I'm looking for ways to lower the cost of each batch I've been researching how to build a DIY water filter for brewing. I came across the following ideas:

$ I priced it out at just under $40. This looks awesome but seemed relatively complicated to me.

http://byo.com/stories/item/399-build-your-own-water-filter-projects
This one is about $20 but the filter doesn't exactly remove chlorine - it just "lessens" the chlorine.

I was hoping for a filter that would remove chlorine and sediment. This is what I came up with. After doing a taste test against a few bottles of water it tastes great.

IMG_3308.jpg

Took me 5 minutes to assemble and one trip to Home Depot. Part numbers and instructions in this video:

http://www.4shared.com/video/tveAarXt/20_dollar_water_filter.html?

Let me know what you think or if I missed anything.

Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
How is the flow? How fast can you fill up a 5 gallon bucket? I have one of these in my fridge. Is it any better than that? Could I just sit there and fill up pitchers until the cows come home?

Or you can take your Carboy or bucket and have it filled with spring water 5G for $1.25

Where are you getting your 5 gallon $1.25 fills?

I would imagine he is talking about one of the machines to refill water at the grocery store. Pretty much all stores have them. Usually is right at .25 a gallon. I was planning on using water from the local store but decided on going with the "If its good enough to drink its good enough to brew" route.

Last edited by a moderator:
Whatever system you decide on, spend the $20-30 and have a sample analyzed at a lab for you. You will know exactly what your water profile is and can make smart adjustments to it when needed (style specific).

BigFloyd said:

Right outside the grocery store they have the spring water dispensers $0.25 a gallon just like Mike said, I live 3 blocks from a grocery store so I can pick it up right before I brew.

Publix has RO water for $.30/gallon, so $1.50 for 5 gallons.

BTW, I like your water filter. I have been using the Publix RO water, and the water is fine, but it's a little bit of a pain to fill 8-9 gallons, carry it all to the car and then drive back home. I've been looking for a water filter that I can have on hand. I'm considering this design. Thanks for the post.

AHA! Had I known of one of those I probably would have bought it. I suppose my is sort of a cobbled-together version of that.

Flow is not as fast as a garden hose (obviously) but much, much better than the fridge. I would say it would take about 5 minutes to fill up a 5 gallon carboy if not less time.

Phil

Back