Too much vodka in my beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem86

Reaction score
I brewed an Imperial Cream Ale and put it in the secondary last Friday with some orange zest that was soaking in vodka.
The problem is, apparently I used too much vodka. I used enough to cover the orange zest and it was almost a cup of vodka.
I just tried a sample tonight and it has a hot alcohol taste.
Is there anything that can be done to help with that? I am hoping that kegging it in a couple days and chilling it will help.
Any other ideas?

Aging it for a couple of months might help, but I doubt it. What was the reasoning for adding vodka? What temp did it ferment at?

I added the vodka because I read on here that a lot of people sanitize fruit in vodka and just throw the vodka in with the fruit. I guess I just never read how much vodka they actually used.
Fermentation was done between 67-71 degrees. I only have a swamp cooler so I can't be as precise as I'd like to be.

Never tried an imperial cream ale--interesting.

If fermentation was between 67-71 (assuming this is actually ferm. temperature, and not ambient) then the hotness is probably just ethanol, as you say, and not fusils. If it was a 5 gallon batch then I think this will probably age out no problem in a few weeks. If it was a smaller batch then who knows and good luck :D

EDIT: Also just noticed that you haven't even kegged it yet. Carbonation will help it no matter what.

That's a good fermentation temp. This is a 5 gallon batch? Maybe describe your brewing process and time for primary/secondary might help figure it out.

This is a 5 gallon batch.

It is an extract brew, also the first time i have had a recipe call for corn syrup.
60 minute boil, cooled in ice bath in sink (7-8 minutes to get it to 90 degrees), poured it in a bucket, added cold top off water to bring it to pitching temps, whisked the snot out of it to aerate the wort, poured it into the carboy, popped on the air lock and put it in the swamp cooler.
It sat in the primary fermentor for almost 3 weeks. It was in a swamp cooler for the entire time, I swapped frozen bottles of water 2-3 times a day to keep the temperature down.
It has been in the secondary, at room temp (74ish), sitting on the orange zest and vodka for 6 days.

sounds like a solid process. I really can't imagine 1 cup of vodka making any real flavor difference in 5 gallons of beer (although I have never tried it so anyone feel free to tell my I'm full of it). $10 and a beer says it'll taste better after carbonating.

Give it time. You've only had the addition in for a week and it is still pretty young beer. Give it another week or two in the secondary and a couple in the bottle. Should be fine then.

I agree that it's probably the alcohol content,as vodka is a neutral spirit. Just make sure you use a minimal amount when soaking zest,oak,etc. I'm soaking 2ozs white oak chips in just enough bourbon now to come about half way up the volume of chips going on two weeks now in an airtight container in the fridge. So far,it looks to have soaked up about half the bourbon.
This way,you minimalize the amount of liquor used to santize & soak up/out flavors. As the liquor soaks up the flavor of whatever you put in it,the liquor is also soaking resins out of the wood. So you use it all. In your case,the liquor is also soaking flavors out of the zest. So it's likely green beer with a goodly amount of alcohol as well. I wouldn't rule out some fusels either. Those dissipate with a little time,like the 3 or 4 weeks at room temp to carb & condition.

Thanks for all the replies. I will let it sit in the primary for another week or two. Hopefully that will let it mellow.

My OG was 1.073 and FG was 1.017

stevem86 said:
Thanks for all the replies. I will let it sit in the primary for another week or two. Hopefully that will let it mellow. My OG was 1.073 and FG was 1.017

Secondary, not primary. Oops

If I did my math right, that should work out to 0.6mL of vodka per 16oz pint of beer.

Chances are, you're not tasting the vodka.. lol

Update: I kegged this batch Saturday 11/2 and it has been in my fridge for a few days.
Although it is not fully carbonated, it tastes fantastic! That hot alcohol taste has disappeared and the orange flavor really shines through.
It is strong on its alcohol content. Halfway through 1 glass I was starting to feel it.
At this point I have to say, this is my best brew yet!

I figured (well,we did) that it was likely some fusels you were tasting rather than the vodka. Glad it cleaned up good for ya!:mug:

Awesome! I love how brewing beer is so forgiving (most of the time :drunk:).

:mug:

Back