FL to CO summer vacation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrickyDick

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Flying to CO for family vacation. What beers should I try? I can get some of the bigger CO brands in FL, but availability is poor (Oskar blues, Fort Collins, flying Dog for instance). I will def try those for sure. I know there is limited Russian River distribution, and I plan to try and seek some out. Also Odell, and Firestone walker.

Any other highly recommended breweries and specific brews y'all can recommend?

Thanks!

TD

CO is beervana! O'Dells, Oskar, Avery, Breckenridge, Ft. Collins Brewery, Boulder, Great Divide, Funkwerks, New Belgium, Ska, Tommyknocker, Wynkoop.

If you're in Aurora, Dry Dock is my local favorite, I'd love to meet you for a pint, PM me. Crooked Stave, Prost, and Denver Beer are local but awesome.

I'd plan on taking a few cases home, at least.

Odell's is a must, 90 shillings & easy street wheat, just a couple to mention but all their beers are awesome! Fort Collins brewery! New Belgium Tour is fun! Lots of great beers in Colorado I miss the college days! Go Rams! Sucks that I moved out of Colorado and have to now only enjoy PDX Beers & HB! Life is good!! :)

90 schilling is good!

So far:
St lupulin
Rampant
90 schilling
Laughing Lab by Bristol brewing
Some royal gorge specialty brew in between an Irish red and and APA somewhere.

TD

Cyclman said:
CO is beervana! O'Dells, Oskar, Avery, Breckenridge, Ft. Collins Brewery, Boulder, Great Divide, Funkwerks, New Belgium, Ska, Tommyknocker, Wynkoop.

If you're in Aurora, Dry Dock is my local favorite, I'd love to meet you for a pint, PM me. Crooked Stave, Prost, and Denver Beer are local but awesome.

I'd plan on taking a few cases home, at least.

We stay in aurora I think on the last night of the trip. Any recommended restaurants? Dry dock is a brewery or a brew pub?

Decadent by Ska Brewing (Durango, CO). Usually found in a 22 oz bomber with a red waxed cap.

Woodcut series from Odell or Lips of Faith series from New Belg are good limited release options.

Found these at a random small nothing special shop in Durango.. You folks from CO don't know how good you've got it!

I guess if I could buy great beer with a wealth of variety though, I may never have become a homebrewer,

In Utah now for a bit. After a long day of walking, traveling, and some low intensity hiking, settled down for dinner to discover the whole town is dry....

TD

image-124471136.jpg

Found these at a random small nothing special shop in Durango.. You folks from CO don't know how good you've got it!

I guess if I could buy great beer with a wealth of variety though, I may never have become a homebrewer,

In Utah now for a bit. After a long day of walking, traveling, and some low intensity hiking, settled down for dinner to discover the whole town is dry....

TD

Oh I know how good it is, and you would probably still homebrew. Hope you enjoyed my beautiful state.

New Belgium La Folie (if you like really good sours)
Ska Modus Hoperandi
Funkwerks Saison
Pretty much anything from Great Divide (Yeti especially)

We stay in aurora I think on the last night of the trip. Any recommended restaurants? Dry dock is a brewery or a brew pub?

Dry Dock is a Brewpub, they often have food trucks. It is worth the stop, for sure. Chamber's Liquor, nearby, has a great selection.

Glad you're loving CO, I am so blessed to live here. :mug:

masskrug said:
Decadent by Ska Brewing (Durango, CO). Usually found in a 22 oz bomber with a red waxed cap.

I am drinking this tonight. Really really good. Not as complex as other IIPA, but very drinkable and delicious, I love it. The wax bottle reminds me of makers mark and knob creek, an added plus.

TD

ColoHox said:
Woodcut series from Odell or Lips of Faith series from New Belg are good limited release options.

Lips of faith!! Nearing end of trip I found a number of these limited brews tonight. I had to pass but did enjoy the feijoa heavenly trippel!! Love the hibiscus flowers and cranberry like tartness,,, never found the woodcut stuff.

Thanks!! You all have helped navigate the huge bottle shops you've got in CO.

TD

MrNic said:
New Belgium La Folie (if you like really good sours)
Ska Modus Hoperandi
Funkwerks Saison
Pretty much anything from Great Divide (Yeti especially)

Had the modus hoperandi in silverton. Very nice. Thanks! Very impressed with all the SKA beers I've tried.

Great divide I can get in FL

Not a huge sour fan. Found a pure sour fermented corked Russian river brew sanctification I think it was called but I passed it up. I like th mixed fermentation brews more than pure sour beers.

TD

Cyclman said:
Dry Dock is a Brewpub, they often have food trucks. It is worth the stop, for sure. Chamber's Liquor, nearby, has a great selection.

Glad you're loving CO, I am so blessed to live here. :mug:

I doubt I am going to convince the In-Laws for another night at the brewpubs...? Unfortunately being the last night in CO, unless I can finagle a mixed case of beer shipped, or an evening bomber, a chambers visit may be more frustrating than enjoyable. I do appreciate the info though. It's often difficult to balance family vacations and beer conquests, but thanks to so far!

A few days left. I have a six pack of Avery IPA ( already had their IIPA) , some Odell 90 schilling left and a couple bombers (hopageddon by napa smith, widmer Nelson IIPA.

Went to backcountry brewing in frisco for dinner. Big in house brewing gear!!!

Had the MaiBock and the IPA. Both nice, preferred the maibock. Service was iffy. Did get my AHA discount for first time every though!! Kids loved their arcade! Thanks for the recommendation ( might have been a rec from a different forum)

Tomorrow we head back toward Denver. Trying to fit. Triple D visit into trip but doubt that'll be possible.
Been enjoying the beer out west for sure, gonna need to go on a diet once I get home!

TD

Back