Belgian yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

meltroha

Reaction score
Brewed a tripel last Saturday, I started fermentation at 64° for a day or so, then have been between 66° & 68° since. There is still very thick krausen, and blow off is still bubbling every 10 or so seconds. I have not taken a gravity reading, or switched the blow of for an airlock yet, because I want to bring it up to 78° - 80° for the rest of primary, I am wondering when I should do this? I want a decent amount of funk, and plan on leaving in primary for a total of 4 weeks.

Funk is more of a term describing a sour beer, which belgian yeasts for a trippel typically don't provide. Your idea of raising temps would be fairly typical for Belgos. Your ferm plan sounds solid.

I always associate funk with the general qualities that go with farmhouse ales. Sour is a possible sub-heading under funk, but I usually don't include it. Grassy, sweaty, barnyard, hay, sweet, and the other smells generated by and ofter attributed to Brett are funk. Sour is the acidic flavor and smell given by lacto. and pideo.

As to the original question; it all depends on which yeast and what you are after. Generally speaking, the higher and faster you raise it the more funk you will get. 2-4 degrees a day will not hurt anything and some will handle much faster and hotter temps. If this is your first time with this yeast, go slow, and don't overdo it. If you don't get enough funk in this batch you can brew another one with no problem. But with the time and $ invested in a triple you don't want to end up with an unpalatable high alcohol beer. Funk is so subjective it pays to be cautious. I love funk, but I've also had others beer that they love and just tastes like gym socks to me. In the same note, some think the ones I love taste the same way.

I always associate funk with the general qualities that go with farmhouse ales. Sour is a possible sub-heading under funk, but I usually don't include it. Grassy, sweaty, barnyard, hay, sweet, and the other smells generated by and ofter attributed to Brett are funk. Sour is the acidic flavor and smell given by lacto. and pideo.

As to the original question; it all depends on which yeast and what you are after. Generally speaking, the higher and faster you raise it the more funk you will get. 2-4 degrees a day will not hurt anything and some will handle much faster and hotter temps. If this is your first time with this yeast, go slow, and don't overdo it. If you don't get enough funk in this batch you can brew another one with no problem. But with the time and $ invested in a triple you don't want to end up with an unpalatable high alcohol beer. Funk is so subjective it pays to be cautious. I love funk, but I've also had others beer that they love and just tastes like gym socks to me. In the same note, some think the ones I love taste the same way.

Thanks, that's the answer I was after, I'll go up a degree our two this week, to get up to 78° got the final two weeks, cheers man!

Back