Yet another water report

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheelspin

Reaction score
Would anyone care to comment on this water report in terms of water quality suitability for brewing

and what would need to be changed ?

Very new to this so slightly (no very) confused.

JHB WATER ANALYSIS.jpg

Looks fine. The alkalinity may require neutralization for mashing some styles and should be neutralized for sparging water usage. The calcium content is a bit low for typical brewing use, but can be accommodated. The addition of other flavor ions (Mg, Na, Cl, SO4) in the water are up to the brewer's taste. Those flavor ions are at low levels so additional content may be added as desired for taste and effect.

Thanks very much mabrungard.

Is it possible for you to be more specific? What should I add, in what quantities and when?

I'm very new to this so your guidance would be much appreciated :)

The answer for What? and How Much? is not really a single or definite answer. The composition of the mash grist and overall flavor effect plays an important factor in defining what water adjustments should be considered. That is why Bru'n Water was created to provide brewers a tool that helps guide them with respect to that question. There isn't one right answer that can be used for all brewing.

There is likely a small range of beers that are well-suited for your water and its possible to use that water unadjusted. But that doesn't mean that will produce the best tasting beer. It just means that the mash pH should fall into an appropriate range and the water does not overly flavor or overwhelm the beer.

I like to use a baseball euphemism for the assistance that Bru'n Water provides: You have to be in the ballpark if you want to have a chance at hitting a home run. Just recognize that the ballpark moves for every beer and the brewer has to move with it.

Back