Cider Clearing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewbadger

Reaction score
hi,

I made my first batch of cider with store bought juice and it turned out great. I want to start another one with either cloudy organic apple juice or real apples . My question, can you make it clear if the starting juice is a cloudy apple cider.

How do get it clear. Pectic enzyme in primary? clearing agent? filter? or am I stuck with a cloudy cider. :mug:

It will clear in the secondary given enough time. But me personally I like to add a pack of super kleer to drop it all out and bottle it from there to save my space in carboys for aging .

When I make my cider I use apples and a juicer and they clear fine on their own, just need to give it time

Those little yeasties will clear out even the cloudiest of cider. A little pectic enzyme wont hurt but all you really need is patience. I use only fresh pressed un-filtered juice from a local farm. It has a lot of sediment to begin with and after 2 weeks in primary, it is usually starting to clear up in the second or third week of secondary.

I have heard on here several times that adding honey will make a pasteurized juice clear, otherwise it is hard to clear. I could be completely wrong because I am still trying it out. I currently have five 1 gallon glass jugs going, all of them different kinds of apple juice. I will know for sure in a few more weeks.

Use Sparkolloid. It will be clear enough to read a newspaper thru the carboy in under 2 weeks.

Back