Aromatic Malt in APA or IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jjones17

Reaction score
Good morning everyone,

I was wondering if anyone might share their experiences in using Aromatic Malt in APA or IPA style beers. I have tasted the malt next to 2 row and biscuit malt, and I was suprised how different Aromatic tastes. Its bloody delicious.

So anyway, I love melanoidin flavors and enjoy APA/IPA beers with up to 75% munich malt on a regular basis - therefore I naturally had to buy some Aromatic malt. I have yet to use it.

Just curious how others have utilized this malt in a non-traditional sense?

Brew on. :rockin:

I use a pound of it in my Ranger Danger IPA recipe which makes it 8% of the total grain bill. The aromatic and the 1332 make the malt flavors pretty interesting IMHO.

To me, Aromatic gives you a bigger mouth feel without the gravity points. to put it bluntly, it gives you a big malt character without all the malt. this is for both the nose and mouthfeel. I usually add 0.5lb-1.0lb to almost every recipe I do. I had an amarillo pale that that was only 2row, aromatic, and a dash (like 2-3oz) of C120. It was perfection.

Back