Another stupid question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrZaius

Reaction score
I am going to brew the Pliny the Elder recipe from on here and I was curious about the corn sugar. Now this is the first recipe that I have done that uses corn sugar. At what point in the brewing process is the corn sugar used? If I was to increase my grain bill instead, how much Pale Malt (2row) would I need to increase to equal 3/4 of a pound of sugar? Thanks

The reason for the corn sugar is to help bring the FG down to target. If you use another say 1.25 pounds of grain, you may get the same O.G. but your F.G. will be higher than if you had used the corn sugar. You don't want Pliny the Syrup.

For optimal attenuation, your best bet for adding sugar is to wait until your fermentation starts slowing down a bit...something like 3-5 days after pitching typically. Add the sugar to a small amount of water (I typically use a quart or less) and bring it to a boil and get all the sugar dissolved. Then gently stir the solution into the fermenter. If you are using a glass carboy, you probably want to let it cool down a bit before adding it, but I usually will add it to my bucket while it's still fairly hot, like 120-150F or so...the thermal mass of the beer in the fermenter more than makes up for the heat from that tiny bit of solution.

I dumped in at the beginning of the boil. Had no problem reaching the FG, of course the pitching the right amount of healthy yeast helps out a lot.

Are you sure the corn sugar wasnt just mentioned for priming your bottles? I've never heard of using corn sugar in the boil but it is mentioned on some recipies regarding how much sugar to prime the bottles with.

Just make sure your not confusing it with the fermentable section of the recipie.

Back