What the hell is this? Infection? Am I making bread?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LuvMyRedDog

Reaction score
I have something that I've never seen before. I pitched yeast about 17 hours ago (rehydrated Safale US-05 that looked healthy). Everything looked clear till just now. It looks like pieces of white bread are floating in my brew. They look exactly like pieces of white bread (no crust, just white). There is no film on the beer, or anything that I would recognize as mold.

Details:

This is an all grain batch. I used 17 lbs. of malted barley. The boil time was 70 minutes and it boiled hard as hell. Ten gallon batch. Supermoss at 15 minutes to the boil.

I haven't fished out any of the suspicious looking junk for a sniff or touch test. My immediate game plan is to leave it alone.

I don't see how an infection (other than yeast) could have happened this quickly. Somebody please tell me how to post pictures from my hard drive to this link.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Don't really need pictures. Your beer is fine and just beginning its ferment. Wait 12 hours and you will have normal krausen on top.

It almost looks like the Supermoss got the flour that was in my mash to congeal, and now the yeasties are tearing that white messy jelly from the bottom of my fermenter.

Someone please tell me they have had this happen, and everything is alright, so I can relax.

+1 on being fine. Sounds like a good fermentation starting. As for pics, go to imageshack.org and upload your pics there. Copy and paste the link to add your image here.

You're the second guy to tell me I'm probably alright. Thanks. How do you post pictures? I need to figure that out.

Actually I didn't say you were probably all right. I said you ARE all right. There is no, zero, nil, nada, zilch, chance that something else other than yeast could have taken hold in 17 hours.

LOL! Ok, I understand. That is very funky looking.

Completely nothing at all to worry about but funky just the same. Even I would have been spooked at first seeing that.

Everything is looking good now. New pictures are here: ImageShack -

check out my solution to a 77 deg f apartment and ale yeast that like it between 60f and 75f. I'm getting a consistent 68f with this chiller setup.

Is your chiller setup just a pump that is recirculating the water? Do you often cool the water? I need to desperately figure out a way to control ferm. temps.

I have seen the same thing with US-05, and other yeasts for that matter. It looks almost like the egg in egg drop soup swirling around. It's pretty amazing to watch. Those little yeasts can certainly stir up some trub.

It's built like a chiller tower on a large building. The water just circulates, the fan helps the circulating water evaporate. Expanding gasses cool. So, as the water evaporates, the water cools down. I'm getting about 8 degrees F lower temp than my A/C provides. Plenty cool for the yeast I like to use.

Back